- Hear ye this, O house of Jacob, who are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the fountain of Judah;
who swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness.
- For they call themselves of the holy city, and stay themselves upon the God of Israel, the LORD of hosts is His name.
- I have declared the former things from of old;
yea, they went forth out of My mouth, and I announced them;
suddenly I did them, and they came to pass.
- Because I knew that thou art obstinate, and thy neck is an iron sinew, and thy brow brass;
- Therefore I have declared it to thee from of old;
before it came to pass I announced it to thee;
lest thou shouldest say: "Mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, hath commanded them."
- Thou hast heard, see, all this;
and ye, will ye not declare it?
I have announced unto thee new things from this time, even hidden things, which thou hast not known.
- They are created now, and not from of old, and before this day thou heardest them not;
lest thou shouldest say: "Behold, I knew them."
- Yea, thou heardest not;
yea, thou knewest not;
yea, from of old thine ear was not opened;
for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously, and wast called a transgressor from the womb.
- For My name"s sake will I defer Mine anger, and for My praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off.
- Behold, I have refined thee, but not as silver;
I have tried thee in the furnace of affliction.
- For Mine own sake, for Mine own sake, will I do it;
for how should it be profaned?
And My glory will I not give to another.
- Hearken unto Me, O Jacob, and Israel My called: I am He;
I am the first, I also am the last.
- Yea, My hand hath laid the foundation of the earth, and My right hand hath spread out the heavens;
when I call unto them, they stand up together.
- Assemble yourselves, all ye, and hear;
which among them hath declared these things?
He whom the LORD loveth shall perform His pleasure on Babylon, and show His arm on the Chaldeans.
- I, even I, have spoken, yea, I have called him;
I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous.
- Come ye near unto Me, hear ye this: From the beginning I have not spoken in secret;
from the time that it was, there am I;
and now the Lord GOD hath sent me, and His spirit.
- Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I am the LORD thy God, who teacheth thee for thy profit, who leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.
- Oh that thou wouldest hearken to My commandments!
then would thy peace be as a river, and thy righteousness as the waves of the sea;
- Thy seed also would be as the sand, and the offspring of thy body like the grains thereof;
his name would not be cut off nor destroyed from before Me.
- Go ye forth from Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans;
with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth;
say ye: "The LORD hath redeemed His servant Jacob.
- And they thirsted not when He led them through the deserts;
He caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them;
He cleaved the rock also, and the waters gushed out."
- There is no peace, saith the LORD concerning the wicked.