- Hearken to Me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD;
look unto the rock whence ye were hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye were digged.
- Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bore you;
for when he was but one I called him, and I blessed him, and made him many.
- For the LORD hath comforted Zion;
He hath comforted all her waste places, and hath made her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD;
joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody.
- Attend unto Me, O My people, and give ear unto Me, O My nation;
for instruction shall go forth from Me, and My right on a sudden for a light of the peoples.
- My favour is near, My salvation is gone forth, and Mine arms shall judge the peoples;
the isles shall wait for Me, and on Mine arm shall they trust.
- Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath;
for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner;
but My salvation shall be for ever, and My favour shall not be abolished.
- Hearken unto Me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is My law;
fear ye not the taunt of men, neither be ye dismayed at their revilings.
- For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool;
but My favour shall be for ever, and My salvation unto all generations.
- Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD;
awake, as in the days of old, the generations of ancient times.
Art thou not it that hewed Rahab in pieces, that pierced the dragon?
- Art thou not it that dried up the sea, the waters of the great deep;
that made the depths of the sea a way for the redeemed to pass over?
- And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing unto Zion, and everlasting joy shall be upon their heads;
they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
- I, even I, am He that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou art afraid of man that shall die, and of the son of man that shall be made as grass;
- And hast forgotten the LORD thy Maker, that stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth;
and fearest continually all the day because of the fury of the oppressor, as he maketh ready to destroy?
And where is the fury of the oppressor?
- He that is bent down shall speedily be loosed;
and he shall not go down dying into the pit, neither shall his bread fail.
- For I am the LORD thy God, who stirreth up the sea, that the waves thereof roar;
the LORD of hosts is His name.
- And I have put My words in thy mouth, and have covered thee in the shadow of My hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion: "Thou art My people."
- Awake, awake, stand up, O Jerusalem, that hast drunk at the hand of the LORD the cup of His fury;
thou hast drunken the beaker, even the cup of staggering, and drained it.
- There is none to guide her among all the sons whom she hath brought forth;
neither is there any that taketh her by the hand of all the sons that she hath brought up.
- These two things are befallen thee;
who shall bemoan thee?
desolation and destruction, and the famine and the sword;
how shall I comfort thee?
- Thy sons have fainted, they lie at the head of all the streets, as an antelope in a net;
they are full of the fury of the LORD, the rebuke of thy God.
- Therefore hear now this, thou afflicted, and drunken, but not with wine;
- Thus saith thy Lord the LORD, and thy God that pleadeth the cause of His people: behold, I have taken out of thy hand the cup of staggering;
the beaker, even the cup of My fury, thou shalt no more drink it again;
- And I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee;
that have said to thy soul: "Bow down, that we may go over";
and thou hast laid thy back as the ground, and as the street, to them that go over.