- In the year that king Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne high and lifted up, and His train filled the temple.
- Above Him stood the seraphim;
each one had six wings: with twain he covered his face and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
- And one called unto another, and said: Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts;
the whole earth is full of His glory.
- And the posts of the door were moved at the voice of them that called, and the house was filled with smoke.
- Then said I: Woe is me!
for I am undone;
because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
- Then flew unto me one of the seraphim, with a glowing stone in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar;
- and he touched my mouth with it, and said: Lo, this hath touched thy lips;
and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin expiated.
- And I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
Then I said: "Here am I;
- And He said: "Go, and tell this people: hear ye indeed, but understand not;
and see ye indeed, but perceive not.
- Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes;
lest they, seeing with their eyes, and hearing with their ears, and understanding with their heart, return, and be healed."
- Then said I: "Lord, how long?" And He answered: "Until cities be waste without inhabitant, and houses without man, and the land become utterly waste,
- And the LORD have removed men far away, and the forsaken places be many in the midst of the land.
- And if there be yet a tenth in it, it shall again be eaten up;
as a terebinth, and as an oak, whose stock remaineth, when they cast their leaves, so the holy seed shall be the stock thereof."