- And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Aram, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up to Jerusalem to war against it;
but could not prevail against it.
- And it was told the house of David, saying: "Aram is confederate with Ephraim." And his heart was moved, and the heart of his people, as the trees of the forest are moved with the wind.
- Then said the LORD unto Isaiah: "Go forth now to meet Ahaz, thou, and Shear-jashub thy son, at the end of the conduit of the upper pool, in the highway of the fullers" field;
- and say unto him: Keep calm, and be quiet;
fear not, neither let thy heart be faint, because of these two tails of smoking firebrands, for the fierce anger of Rezin and Aram, and of the son of Remaliah.
- Because Aram hath counselled evil against thee, Ephraim also, and the son of Remaliah, saying:
- Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set up a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeel;
- thus saith the Lord GOD: it shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass.
- For the head of Aram is Damascus, and the head of Damascus is Rezin;
and within threescore and five years shall Ephraim be broken, that it be not a people;
- And the head of Ephraim is Samaria, and the head of Samaria is Remaliah"s son.
If ye will not have faith, surely ye shall not be established."
- And the LORD spoke again unto Ahaz, saying:
- "Ask thee a sign of the LORD thy God: ask it either in the depth, or in the height above."
- But Ahaz said: "I will not ask, neither will I try the LORD."
- And he said: "Hear ye now, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to weary men, that ye will weary my God also?
- Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: behold, the young woman shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Curd and honey shall he eat, when he knoweth to refuse the evil, and choose the good.
- Yea, before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good, the land whose two kings thou hast a horror of shall be forsaken.
- The LORD shall bring upon thee, and upon thy people, and upon thy father"s house, days that have not come, from the day that Ephraim departed from Judah;
even the king of Assyria."
- And it shall come to pass in that day, that the LORD shall hiss for the fly that is in the uttermost part of the rivers of Egypt, and for the bee that is in the land of Assyria.
- And they shall come, and shall rest all of them in the rugged valleys, and in the holes of the rocks, and upon all thorns, and upon all brambles.
- In that day shall the Lord shave with a razor that is hired in the parts beyond the River, even with the king of Assyria, the head and the hair of the feet;
and it shall also sweep away the beard.
- And it shall come to pass in that day, that a man shall rear a young cow, and two sheep;
- and it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give, he shall eat curd;
for curd and honey shall every one eat that is left in the midst of the land.
- And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place, where there were a thousand vines at a thousand silverlings, shall even be for briers and thorns.
- With arrows and with bow shall one come thither;
because all the land shall become briers and thorns.
- And all the hills that were digged with the mattock, thou shalt not come thither for fear of briers and thorns, but it shall be for the sending forth of oxen, and for the treading of sheep.