- And the men of Ephraim were gathered together, and passed to Zaphon;
and they said unto Jephthah: "Wherefore didst thou pass over to fight against the children of Ammon, and didst not call us to go with thee?
we will burn thy house upon thee with fire."
- And Jephthah said unto them: "I and my people were at great strife with the children of Ammon;
and when I called you, ye saved me not out of their hand.
- And when I saw that ye saved me not, I put my life in my hand, and passed over against the children of Ammon, and the LORD delivered them into my hand;
wherefore then are ye come up unto me this day, to fight against me?"
- Then Jephthah gathered together all the men of Gilead, and fought with Ephraim;
and the men of Gilead smote Ephraim, because they said: "Ye are fugitives of Ephraim, ye Gileadites, in the midst of Ephraim, and in the midst of Manasseh."
- And the Gileadites took the fords of the Jordan against the Ephraimites;
and it was so, that when any of the fugitives of Ephraim said: "Let me go over," the men of Gilead said unto him: "Art thou an Ephraimite?" If he said: "Nay";
- then said they unto him: "Say now Shibboleth";
and he said "Sibboleth";
for he could not frame to pronounce it right;
then they laid hold on him, and slew him at the fords of the Jordan;
and there fell at that time of Ephraim forty and two thousand.
- And Jephthah judged Israel six years.
Then died Jephthah the Gileadite, and was buried in one of the cities of Gilead.
- And after him Ibzan of Beth-lehem judged Israel.
- And he had thirty sons, and thirty daughters he sent abroad, and thirty daughters he brought in from abroad for his sons.
And he judged Israel seven years.
- and Ibzan died, and was buried at Beth-lehem.
- And after him Elon the Zebulunite judged Israel;
and he judged Israel ten years.
- And Elon the Zebulunite died, and was buried in Aijalon in the land of Zebulun.
- And after him Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite judged Israel.
- And he had forty sons and thirty sons" sons, that rode on threescore and ten ass colts;
and he judged Israel eight years.
- And Abdon the son of Hillel the Pirathonite died, and was buried in Pirathon in the land of Ephraim, in the hill-country of the Amalekites.