- And the children of Israel again did that which was evil in the sight of the LORD;
and the LORD delivered them into the hand of the Philistines forty years.
- And there was a certain man of Zorah, of the family of the Danites, whose name was Manoah;
and his wife was barren, and bore not.
- And the angel of the LORD appeared unto the woman, and said unto her: "Behold now, thou art barren, and hast not borne;
but thou shalt conceive, and bear a son.
- Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink no wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing.
- For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son;
and no razor shall come upon his head;
for the child shall be a Nazirite unto God from the womb;
and he shall begin to save Israel out of the hand of the Philistines."
- Then the woman came and told her husband, saying: "A man of God came unto me, and his countenance was like the countenance of the angel of God, very terrible;
and I asked him not whence he was, neither told he me his name;
- but he said unto me: Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son;
and now drink no wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing;
for the child shall be a Nazirite unto God from the womb to the day of his death."
- Then Manoah entreated the LORD, and said: "Oh, LORD, I pray Thee, let the man of God whom Thou didst send come again unto us, and teach us what we shall do unto the child that shall be born."
- And God hearkened to the voice of Manoah;
and the angel of God came again unto the woman as she sat in the field;
but Manoah her husband was not with her.
- And the woman made haste, and ran, and told her husband, and said unto him: "Behold, the man hath appeared unto me, that came unto me that day."
- And Manoah arose, and went after his wife, and came to the man, and said unto him: "Art thou the man that spokest unto the woman?" And he said: "I am."
- And Manoah said: "Now when thy word cometh to pass, what shall be the rule for the child, and what shall be done with him?"
- And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah: "Of all that I said unto the woman let her beware.
- She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the grapevine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing;
all that I commanded her let her observe."
- And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD: "I pray thee, let us detain thee, that we may make ready a kid for thee."
- And the angel of the LORD said unto Manoah: "Though thou detain me, I will not eat of thy bread;
and if thou wilt make ready a burnt-offering, thou must offer it unto the LORD." For Manoah knew not that he was the angel of the LORD.
- And Manoah said unto the angel of the LORD: "What is thy name, that when thy words come to pass we may do thee honour?"
- And the angel of the LORD said unto him: "Wherefore askest thou after my name, seeing it is hidden?"
- So Manoah took the kid with the meal-offering, and offered it upon the rock unto the LORD;
and the angel did wondrously, and Manoah and his wife looked on.
- For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar;
and Manoah and his wife looked on;
and they fell on their faces to the ground.
- But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah or to his wife.
Then Manoah knew that he was the angel of the LORD.
- And Manoah said unto his wife: "We shall surely die, because we have seen God."
- But his wife said unto him: "If the LORD were pleased to kill us, He would not have received a burnt-offering and a meal-offering at our hand, neither would He have shown us all these things, nor would at this time have told such things as these."
- And the woman bore a son, and called his name Samson;
and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.
- And the spirit of the LORD began to move him in Mahaneh-dan, between Zorah and Eshtaol.