- The word of the LORD that came to Jeremiah concerning the droughts.
- Judah mourneth, and the gates thereof languish, they bow down in black unto the ground;
and the cry of Jerusalem is gone up.
- And their nobles send their lads for water: they come to the pits, and find no water;
their vessels return empty;
they are ashamed and confounded, and cover their heads.
- Because of the ground which is cracked, for there hath been no rain in the land, the plowmen are ashamed, they cover their heads.
- Yea, the hind also in the field calveth, and forsaketh her young, because there is no grass,
- And the wild asses stand on the high hills, they gasp for air like jackals;
their eyes fail, because there is no herbage.
- Though our iniquities testify against us, O LORD, work Thou for Thy name"s sake;
for our backslidings are many, we have sinned against Thee.
- O Thou hope of Israel, the Saviour thereof in time of trouble, why shouldest Thou be as a stranger in the land, and as a wayfaring man that turneth aside to tarry for a night?
- Why shouldest thou be as a man overcome, as a mighty man that cannot save?
Yet Thou, O LORD, art in the midst of us, and Thy name is called upon us;
leave us not.
- Thus saith the LORD unto this people: Even so have they loved to wander, they have not refrained their feet;
therefore the LORD doth not accept them, now will He remember their iniquity, and punish their sins.
- And the LORD said unto me: "Pray not for this people for their good.
- When they fast, I will not hear their cry;
and when they offer burnt-offering and meal-offering, I will not accept them;
but I will consume them by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence."
- Then said I: "Ah, Lord GOD!
behold, the prophets say unto them: Ye shall not see the sword, neither shall ye have famine;
but I will give you assured peace in this place."
- Then the LORD said unto me: "The prophets prophesy lies in My name;
I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spoke I unto them;
they prophesy unto you a lying vision, and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their own heart.
- Therefore thus saith the LORD: As for the prophets that prophesy in My name, and I sent them not, yet they say: Sword and famine shall not be in this land, by sword and famine shall those prophets be consumed;
- and the people to whom they prophesy shall be cast out in the streets of Jerusalem because of the famine and the sword;
and they shall have none to bury them, them, their wives, nor their sons, nor their daughters;
for I will pour their evil upon them."
- And thou shalt say this word unto them: Let mine eyes run down with tears night and day, and let them not cease;
for the virgin daughter of my people is broken with a great breach, with a very grievous blow.
- If I go forth into the field, then behold the slain with the sword!
And if I enter into the city, then behold them that are sick with famine!
For both the prophet and the priest are gone about to a land, and knew it not.
- Hast Thou utterly rejected Judah?
Hath Thy soul loathed Zion?
Why hast Thou smitten us, and there is no healing for us?
We looked for peace, but no good came;
and for a time of healing, and behold terror!
- We acknowledge, O LORD, our wickedness, even the iniquity of our fathers;
for we have sinned against Thee.
- Do not contemn us, for Thy name"s sake, do not dishonour the throne of Thy glory;
remember, break not Thy covenant with us.
- Are there any among the vanities of the nations that can cause rain?
or can the heavens give showers?
Art not Thou He, O LORD our God, and do we not wait for Thee?
For Thou hast made all these things.