- Now Pashhur the son of Immer the priest, who was chief officer in the house of the LORD, heard Jeremiah prophesying these things.
- Then Pashhur smote Jeremiah the prophet, and put him in the stocks that were in the upper gate of Benjamin, which was in the house of the LORD.
- And it came to pass on the morrow, that Pashhur brought forth Jeremiah out of the stocks.
Then said Jeremiah unto him: "The LORD hath not called thy name Pashhur, but Magormissabib.
- For thus saith the LORD: Behold, I will make thee a terror to thyself, and to all thy friends;
and they shall fall by the sword of their enemies, and thine eyes shall behold it;
and I will give all Judah into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall carry them captive to Babylon, and shall slay them with the sword.
- Moreover I will give all the store of this city, and all the gains thereof, and all the wealth thereof, yea, all the treasures of the kings of Judah will I give into the hand of their enemies, who shall spoil them, and take them, and carry them to Babylon.
- And thou, Pashhur, and all that dwell in thy house shall go into captivity;
and thou shalt come to Babylon, and there thou shalt die, and there shalt thou be buried, thou, and all thy friends, to whom thou hast prophesied falsely."
- O LORD, Thou hast enticed me, and I was enticed, Thou hast overcome me, and hast prevailed;
I am become a laughing-stock all the day, every one mocketh me.
- For as often as I speak, I cry out, I cry: "Violence and spoil";
because the word of the LORD is made a reproach unto me, and a derision, all the day.
- And if I say: "I will not make mention of Him, nor speak any more in His name", then there is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I weary myself to hold it in, but cannot.
- For I have heard the whispering of many, terror on every side: "Denounce, and we will denounce him";
even of all my familiar friends, them that watch for my halting: "Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him."
- But the LORD is with me as a mighty warrior;
therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail;
they shall be greatly ashamed, because they have not prospered, even with an everlasting confusion which shall never be forgotten.
- But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, that seest the reins and the heart, let me see Thy vengeance on them;
for unto Thee have I revealed my cause.
- Sing unto the LORD, praise ye the LORD;
for He hath delivered the soul of the needy from the hand of evil-doers.
- Cursed be the day wherein I was born;
the day wherein my mother bore me, let it not be blessed.
- Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying: "A man-child is born unto thee";
making him very glad.
- And let that man be as the cities which the LORD overthrew, and repented not;
and let him hear a cry in the morning, and an alarm at noontide;
- Because He slew me not from the womb;
and so my mother would have been my grave, and her womb always great.
- Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labour and sorrow, that my days should be consumed in shame?