- The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD in the tenth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar.
- Now at that time the king of Babylon"s army was besieging Jerusalem;
and Jeremiah the prophet was shut up in the court of the guard, which was in the king of Judah"s house.
- For Zedekiah king of Judah had shut him up, saying: "Wherefore dost thou prophesy, and say: Thus saith the LORD: Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall take it;
- and Zedekiah king of Judah shall not escape out of the hand of the Chaldeans, but shall surely be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon, and shall speak with him mouth to mouth, and his eyes shall behold his eyes;
- and he shall lead Zedekiah to Babylon, and there shall he be until I remember him, saith the LORD;
though ye fight with the Chaldeans, ye shall not prosper?"
- And Jeremiah said: "The word of the LORD came unto me, saying:
- Behold, Hanamel, the son of Shallum thine uncle, shall come unto thee, saying: Buy thee my field that is in Anathoth;
for the right of redemption is thine to buy it."
- So Hanamel mine uncle"s son came to me in the court of the guard according to the word of the LORD, and said unto me: "Buy my field, I pray thee, that is in Anathoth, which is in the land of Benjamin;
for the right of inheritance is thine, and the redemption is thine;
buy it for thyself." Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD.
- And I bought the field that was in Anathoth of Hanamel mine uncle"s son, and weighed him the money, even seventeen shekels of silver.
- And I subscribed the deed, and sealed it, and called witnesses, and weighed him the money in the balances.
- So I took the deed of the purchase, both that which was sealed, containing the terms and conditions, and that which was open;
- and I delivered the deed of the purchase unto Baruch the son of Neriah, the son of Mahseiah, in the presence of Hanamel mine uncle "s son, and in the presence of the witnesses that subscribed the deed of the purchase, before all the Jews that sat in the court of the guard.
- And I charged Baruch before them, saying:
- "Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Take these deeds, this deed of the purchase, both that which is sealed, and this deed which is open, and put them in an earthen vessel;
that they may continue many days.
- For thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Houses and fields and vineyards shall yet again be bought in this land."
- Now after I had delivered the deed of the purchase unto Baruch the son of Neriah, I prayed unto the LORD, saying:
- "Ah Lord GOD!
behold, Thou hast made the heaven and the earth by Thy great power and by Thy outstretched arm;
there is nothing too hard for Thee;
- who showest mercy unto thousands, and recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them;
the great, the mighty God, the LORD of hosts is His name;
- great in counsel, and mighty in work;
whose eyes are open upon all the ways of the sons of men, to give every one according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings;
- who didst set signs and wonders in the land of Egypt, even unto this day, and in Israel and among other men;
and madest Thee a name, as at this day;
- and didst bring forth Thy people Israel out of the land of Egypt with signs, and with wonders, and with a strong hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with great terror;
- and gavest them this land, which Thou didst swear to their fathers to give them, a land flowing with milk and honey;
- and they came in, and possessed it;
but they hearkened not to Thy voice, neither walked in Thy law;
they have done nothing of all that Thou commandedst them to do;
therefore Thou hast caused all this evil to befall them;
- behold the mounds, they are come unto the city to take it;
and the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans that fight against it, because of the sword, and of the famine, and of the pestilence;
and what Thou hast spoken is come to pass;
and, behold, Thou seest it.
- Yet Thou hast said unto me, O Lord GOD: Buy thee the field for money, and call witnesses;
whereas the city is given into the hand of the Chaldeans."
- Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying:
- "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh;
is there any thing too hard for Me?
- Therefore thus saith the LORD: Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the Chaldeans, and into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and he shall take it;
- and the Chaldeans, that fight against this city, shall come and set this city on fire, and burn it, with the houses, upon whose roofs they have offered unto Baal, and poured out drink-offerings unto other gods, to provoke Me.
- For the children of Israel and the children of Judah have only done that which was evil in My sight from their youth;
for the children of Israel have only provoked Me with the work of their hands, saith the LORD.
- For this city hath been to Me a provocation of Mine anger and of My fury from the day that they built it even unto this day, that I should remove it from before My face;
- because of all the evil of the children of Israel and of the children of Judah, which they have done to provoke Me, they, their kings, their princes, their priests, and their prophets, and the men of Judah, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
- And they have turned unto Me the back, and not the face;
and though I taught them, teaching them betimes and often, yet they have not hearkened to receive instruction.
- But they set their abominations in the house whereupon My name is called, to defile it.
- And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to set apart their sons and their daughters unto Molech;
which I commanded them not, neither came it into My mind, that they should do this abomination;
to cause Judah to sin.
- And now therefore thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel, concerning this city, whereof ye say: It is given into the hand of the king of Babylon by the sword, and by the famine, and by the pestilence:
- Behold, I will gather them out of all the countries, whither I have driven them in Mine anger, and in My fury, and in great wrath;
and I will bring them back unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely;
- and they shall be My people, and I will be their God;
- and I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear Me for ever;
for the good of them, and of their children after them;
- and I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good;
and I will put My fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from Me.
- Yea, I will rejoice over them to do them good, and I will plant them in this land in truth with My whole heart and with My whole soul.
- For thus saith the LORD: Like as I have brought all this great evil upon this people, so will I bring upon them all the good that I have promised them.
- And fields shall be bought in this land, whereof ye say: It is desolate, without man or beast;
it is given into the hand of the Chaldeans.
- Men shall buy fields for money, and subscribe the deeds, and seal them, and call witnesses, in the land of Benjamin, and in the places about Jerusalem, and in the cities of Judah, and in the cities of the hill-country, and in the cities of the Lowland, and in the cities of the South;
for I will cause their captivity to return, saith the LORD."