- The word which came unto Jeremiah from the LORD in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah, king of Judah, saying:
- "Go unto the house of the Rechabites, and speak unto them, and bring them into the house of the LORD, into one of the chambers, and give them wine to drink."
- Then I took Jaazaniah the son of Jeremiah, the son of Habazziniah, and his brethren, and all his sons, and the whole house of the Rechabites;
- and I brought them into the house of the LORD, into the chamber of the sons of Hanan the son of Igdaliah, the man of God, which was by the chamber of the princes, which was above the chamber of Maaseiah the son of Shallum, the keeper of the door;
- and I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabites goblets full of wine, and cups, and I said unto them: "Drink ye wine."
- But they said: "We will drink no wine;
for Jonadab the son of Rechab our father commanded us, saying: Ye shall drink no wine, neither ye, nor your sons, for ever;
- neither shall ye build house, nor sow seed, nor plant vineyard, nor have any;
but all your days ye shall dwell in tents, that ye may live many days in the land wherein ye sojourn.
- And we have hearkened to the voice of Jonadab the son of Rechab our father in all that he charged us, to drink no wine all our days, we, our wives, our sons, nor our daughters;
- nor to build houses for us to dwell in, neither to have vineyard, or field, or seed;
- but we have dwelt in tents, and have hearkened, and done according to all that Jonadab our father commanded us.
- But it came to pass, when Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon came up against the land, that we said: Come, and let us go to Jerusalem for fear of the army of the Chaldeans, and for fear of the army of the Arameans;
so we dwell at Jerusalem."
- Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying:
- "Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Go, and say to the men of Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem: Will ye not receive instruction to hearken to My words?
saith the LORD.
- The words of Jonadab the son of Rechab, that he commanded his sons, not to drink wine, are performed, and unto this day they drink none, for they hearken to their father"s commandment;
but I have spoken unto you, speaking betimes and often, and ye have not hearkened unto Me.
- I have sent also unto you all My servants the prophets, sending them betimes and often, saying: Return ye now every man from his evil way, and amend your doings, and go not after other gods to serve them, and ye shall dwell in the land which I have given to you and to your fathers;
but ye have not inclined your ear, nor hearkened unto Me.
- Because the sons of Jonadab the son of Rechab have performed the commandment of their father which he commanded them, but this people hath not hearkened unto Me;
- therefore thus saith the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will bring upon Judah and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the evil that I have pronounced against them;
because I have spoken unto them, but they have not heard, and I have called unto them, but they have not answered."
- And unto the house of the Rechabites Jeremiah said: Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Because ye have hearkened to the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he commanded you;
- therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: There shall not be cut off unto Jonadab the son of Rechab a man to stand before Me for ever."