- Of the children of Ammon.
Thus saith the LORD: Hath Israel no sons?
Hath he no heir?
Why then doth Malcam take possession of Gad, and his people dwell in the cities thereof?
- Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will cause an alarm of war to be heard against Rabbah of the children of Ammon;
and it shall become a desolate mound, and her daughters shall be burned with fire;
then shall Israel dispossess them that did dispossess him, saith the LORD.
- Wail, O Heshbon, for Ai is undone;
cry, ye daughters of Rabbah, gird you with sackcloth;
lament, and run to and fro among the folds;
for Malcam shall go into captivity, his priests and his princes together.
- Wherefore gloriest thou in the valleys, thy flowing valley, O backsliding daughter?
that didst trust in thy treasures: "Who shall come unto me?"
- Behold, I will bring a terror upon thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts, from all that are round about thee;
and ye shall be driven out every man right forth, and there shall be none to gather up him that wandereth.
- But afterward I will bring back the captivity of the children of Ammon, saith the LORD.
- Of Edom.
Thus saith the LORD of hosts: Is wisdom no more in Teman?
Is counsel perished from the prudent?
Is their wisdom vanished?
- Flee ye, turn back, dwell deep, O inhabitants of Dedan;
for I do bring the calamity of Esau upon him, the time that I shall punish him.
- If grape-gatherers came to thee, would they not leave some gleaning grapes?
if thieves by night, would they not destroy till they had enough?
- But I have made Esau bare, I have uncovered his secret places, and he shall not be able to hide himself;
his seed is spoiled, and his brethren, and his neighbours, and he is not.
- Leave thy fatherless children, I will rear them, and let thy widows trust in Me.
- For thus saith the LORD: Behold, they to whom it pertained not to drink of the cup shall assuredly drink;
and art thou he that shall altogether go unpunished?
thou shalt not go unpunished, but thou shalt surely drink.
- For I have sworn by Myself, saith the LORD, that Bozrah shall become an astonishment, a reproach, a waste, and a curse;
and all the cities thereof shall be perpetual wastes.
- I have heard a message from the LORD, and an ambassador is sent among the nations: "Gather yourselves together, and come against her, and rise up to the battle."
- For, behold, I make thee small among the nations, and despised among men.
- Thy terribleness hath deceived thee, even the pride of thy heart, O thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, that holdest the height of the hill;
though thou shouldest make thy nest as high as the eagle, I will bring thee down from thence, saith the LORD.
- And Edom shall become an astonishment;
every one that passeth by it shall be astonished and shall hiss at all the plagues thereof.
- As in the overthrow of Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbour cities thereof, saith the LORD, no man shall abide there, neither shall any son of man dwell therein.
- Behold, he shall come up like a lion from the thickets of the Jordan against the strong habitation;
for I will suddenly make him run away from it, and whoso is chosen, him will I appoint over it;
for who is like Me?
and who will appoint Me a time?
and who is that shepherd that will stand before Me?
- Therefore hear ye the counsel of the LORD, that He hath taken against Edom;
and His purposes, that He hath purposed against the inhabitants of Teman: surely the least of the flock shall drag them away, surely their habitation shall be appalled at them.
- The earth quaketh at the noise of their fall;
there is a cry, the noise whereof is heard in the Red Sea.
- Behold, he shall come up and swoop down as the vulture, and spread out his wings against Bozrah;
and the heart of the mighty men of Edom at that day shall be as the heart of a woman in her pangs.
- Of Damascus.
Hamath is ashamed, and Arpad;
for they have heard evil tidings, they are melted away;
there is trouble in the sea;
it cannot be quiet.
- Damascus is waxed feeble, she turneth herself to flee, and trembling hath seized on her;
anguish and pangs have taken hold of her, as of a woman in travail.
- "How is the city of praise left unrepaired, the city of my joy?"
- Therefore her young men shall fall in her broad places, and all the men of war shall be brought to silence in that day, saith the LORD of hosts.
- And I will kindle a fire in the wall of Damascus, and it shall devour the palaces of Ben-hadad.
- Of Kedar, and of the kingdoms of Hazor, which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon smote.
Thus saith the LORD: Arise ye, go up against Kedar, and spoil the children of the east.
- Their tents and their flocks shall they take, they shall carry away for themselves their curtains, and all their vessels, and their camels;
and they shall proclaim against them a terror on every side.
- Flee ye, flit far off, dwell deep, O ye inhabitants of Hazor, saith the LORD;
for Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath taken counsel against you, and hath conceived a purpose against you.
- Arise, get you up against a nation that is at ease, that dwelleth without care, saith the LORD;
that have neither gates nor bars, that dwell alone.
- And their camels shall be a booty, and the multitude of their cattle a spoil;
and I will scatter unto all winds them that have the corners polled;
and I will bring their calamity from every side of them, saith the LORD.
- And Hazor shall be a dwelling-place of jackals, a desolation for ever;
no man shall abide there, neither shall any son of man dwell therein.
- The word of the LORD that came to Jeremiah the prophet concerning Elam in the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah king of Judah, saying:
- Thus saith the LORD of hosts: behold, I will break the bow of Elam the chief of their might.
- And I will bring against Elam the four winds from the four quarters of heaven, and will scatter them toward all those winds;
and there shall be no nation whither the dispersed of Elam shall not come.
- And I will cause Elam to be dismayed before their enemies, and before them that seek their life;
and I will bring evil upon them, even My fierce anger, saith the LORD;
and I will send the sword after them, till I have consumed them;
- And I will set My throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence king and princes, saith the LORD.
- But it shall come to pass in the end of days, that I will bring back the captivity of Elam, saith the LORD.