- The word that the LORD spoke concerning Babylon, concerning the land of the Chaldeans, by Jeremiah the prophet.
- Declare ye among the nations and announce, and set up a standard;
announce, and conceal not;
say: "Babylon is taken, Bel is put to shame, Merodach is dismayed;
her images are put to shame, her idols are dismayed."
- For out of the north there cometh up a nation against her, which shall make her land desolate, and none shall dwell therein;
they are fled, they are gone, both man and beast.
- In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together;
they shall go on their way weeping, and shall seek the LORD their God.
- They shall inquire concerning Zion with their faces hitherward: "Come ye, and join yourselves to the LORD in an everlasting covenant that shall not be forgotten."
- My people hath been lost sheep;
their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains;
they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their resting-place.
- All that found them have devoured them;
and their adversaries said: "We are not guilty";
because they have sinned against the LORD, the habitation of justice, even the LORD, the hope of their fathers.
- Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and go forth out of the land of the Chaldeans, and be as the he-goats before the flocks.
- For, lo, I will stir up and cause to come up against Babylon an assembly of great nations from the north country;
and they shall set themselves in array against her, from thence she shall be taken;
their arrows shall be as of a mighty man that maketh childless;
none shall return in vain.
- And Chaldea shall be a spoil;
all that spoil her shall be satisfied, saith the LORD.
- Because ye are glad, because ye rejoice, O ye that plunder My heritage, because ye gambol as a heifer at grass, and neigh as strong horses;
- Your mother shall be sore ashamed, she that bore you shall be confounded;
behold, the hindermost of the nations shall be a wilderness, a dry land, and a desert.
- Because of the wrath of the LORD it shall not be inhabited, but it shall be wholly desolate;
every one that goeth by Babylon shall be appalled and hiss at all her plagues.
- Set yourselves in array against Babylon round about, all ye that bend the bow, shoot at her, spare no arrows;
for she hath sinned against the LORD.
- Shout against her round about, she hath submitted herself;
her buttresses are fallen, her walls are thrown down;
for it is the vengeance of the LORD, take vengeance upon her;
as she hath done, do unto her.
- Cut off the sower from Babylon, and him that handleth the sickle in the time of harvest;
for fear of the oppressing sword they shall turn every one to his people, and they shall flee every one to his own land.
- Israel is a scattered sheep, the lions have driven him away;
first the king of Assyria hath devoured him, and last this Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon hath broken his bones.
- Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: behold, I will punish the king of Babylon and his land, as I have punished the king of Assyria.
- And I will bring Israel back to his pasture, and he shall feed on Carmel and Bashan, and his soul shall be satisfied upon the hills of Ephraim and in Gilead.
- In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none, and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found;
for I will pardon them whom I leave as a remnant.
- Go up against the land of Merathaim, even against it, and against the inhabitants of Pekod;
waste and utterly destroy after them, saith the LORD, and do according to all that I have commanded thee.
battle is in the land, and great destruction.
- How is the hammer of the whole earth cut asunder and broken!
How is Babylon become a desolation among the nations!
- I have laid a snare for thee, and thou art also taken, O Babylon, and thou wast not aware;
thou art found, and also caught, because thou hast striven against the LORD.
- The LORD hath opened His armoury, and hath brought forth the weapons of His indignation;
for it is a work that the Lord GOD of hosts hath to do in the land of the Chaldeans.
- Come against her from every quarter, open her granaries, cast her up as heaps, and destroy her utterly;
let nothing of her be left.
- Slay all her bullocks, let them go down to the slaughter;
woe unto them!
for their day is come, the time of their visitation.
they flee and escape out of the land of Babylon, to declare in Zion the vengeance of the LORD our God, the vengeance of His temple.
- Call together the archers against Babylon, all them that bend the bow;
encamp against her round about, let none thereof escape;
recompense her according to her work, according to all that she hath done, do unto her: for she hath been arrogant against the LORD, against the Holy One of Israel.
- Therefore shall her young men fall in her broad places, and all her men of war shall be brought to silence in that day, saith the LORD.
- Behold, I am against thee, O thou most arrogant, saith the Lord GOD of hosts;
for thy day is come, the time that I will punish thee.
- And the most arrogant shall stumble and fall, and none shall raise him up;
and I will kindle a fire in his cities, and it shall devour all that are round about him.
- Thus saith the LORD of hosts: The children of Israel and the children of Judah are oppressed together;
and all that took them captives hold them fast;
they refuse to let them go.
- Their Redeemer is strong, the LORD of hosts is His name;
He will thoroughly plead their cause, that He may give rest to the earth, and disquiet the inhabitants of Babylon.
- A sword is upon the Chaldeans, saith the LORD, and upon the inhabitants of Babylon, and upon her princes, and upon her wise men.
- A sword is upon the boasters, and they shall become fools;
a sword is upon her mighty men, and they shall be dismayed.
- A sword is upon their horses, and upon their chariots, and upon all the mingled people that are in the midst of her, and they shall become as women;
a sword is upon her treasures, and they shall be robbed.
- A drought is upon her waters, and they shall be dried up;
for it is a land of graven images, and they are mad upon things of horror.
- Therefore the wild-cats with the jackals shall dwell there, and the ostriches shall dwell therein;
and it shall be no more inhabited for ever, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation.
- As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and the neighbour cities thereof, saith the LORD;
so shall no man abide there, neither shall any son of man dwell therein.
- Behold, a people cometh from the north, and a great nation, and many kings shall be roused from the uttermost parts of the earth.
- They lay hold on bow and spear, they are cruel, and have no compassion;
their voice is like the roaring sea, and they ride upon horses;
set in array, as a man for war, against thee, O daughter of Babylon.
- The king of Babylon hath heard the fame of them, and his hands wax feeble;
anguish hath taken hold of him, and pain, as of a woman in travail.
- Behold, he shall come up like a lion from the thickets of the Jordan against the strong habitation;
for I will suddenly make them run away from it, and whoso is chosen, him will I appoint over it;
for who is like Me?
and who will appoint Me a time?
and who is that shepherd that will stand before Me?
- Therefore hear ye the counsel of the LORD, that He hath taken against Babylon, and His purposes, that He hath purposed against the land of the Chaldeans: surely the least of the flock shall drag them away, surely their habitation shall be appalled at them.
- At the noise of the taking of Babylon the earth quaketh, and the cry is heard among the nations.