- The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying:
- Stand in the gate of the LORD"S house, and proclaim there this word, and say: Hear the word of the LORD, all ye of Judah, that enter in at these gates to worship the LORD.
- Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Amend your ways and your doings, and I will cause you to dwell in this place.
- Trust ye not in lying words, saying: "The temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, are these."
- Nay, but if ye thoroughly amend your ways and your doings;
if ye thoroughly execute justice between a man and his neighbour;
- if ye oppress not the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, and shed not innocent blood in this place, neither walk after other gods to your hurt;
- then will I cause you to dwell in this place, in the land that I gave to your fathers, for ever and ever.
- Behold, ye trust in lying words, that cannot profit.
- Will ye steal, murder, and commit adultery, and swear falsely, and offer unto Baal, and walk after other gods whom ye have not known,
- and come and stand before Me in this house, whereupon My name is called, and say: "We are delivered", that ye may do all these abominations?
- Is this house, whereupon My name is called, become a den of robbers in your eyes?
Behold, I, even I, have seen it, saith the LORD.
- For go ye now unto My place which was in Shiloh, where I caused My name to dwell at the first, and see what I did to it for the wickedness of My people Israel.
- And now, because ye have done all these works, saith the LORD, and I spoke unto you, speaking betimes and often, but ye heard not, and I called you, but ye answered not;
- therefore will I do unto the house, whereupon My name is called, wherein ye trust, and unto the place which I gave to you and to your fathers, as I have done to Shiloh.
- And I will cast you out of My sight, as I have cast out all your brethren, even the whole seed of Ephraim.
- Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to Me;
for I will not hear thee.
- Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?
- The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead the dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink-offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke Me.
- Do they provoke Me?
saith the LORD;
do they not provoke themselves, to the confusion of their own faces?
- Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD: Behold, Mine anger and My fury shall be poured out upon this place, upon man, and upon beast, and upon the trees of the field, and upon the fruit of the land;
and it shall burn, and shall not be quenched.
- Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Add your burnt-offerings unto your sacrifices, and eat ye flesh.
- For I spoke not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt-offerings or sacrifices;
- but this thing I commanded them, saying: "Hearken unto My voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be My people;
and walk ye in all the way that I command you, that it may be well with you."
- But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in their own counsels, even in the stubbornness of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward,
- even since the day that your fathers came forth out of the land of Egypt unto this day;
and though I have sent unto you all My servants the prophets, sending them daily betimes and often,
- yet they hearkened not unto Me, nor inclined their ear, but made their neck stiff;
they did worse than their fathers.
- And thou shalt speak all these words unto them, but they will not hearken to thee;
thou shalt also call unto them, but they will not answer thee.
- Therefore thou shalt say unto them: This is the nation that hath not hearkened to the voice of the LORD their God, nor received correction;
faithfulness is perished, and is cut off from their mouth.
- Cut off thy hair, and cast it away, and take up a lamentation on the high hills;
for the LORD hath rejected and forsaken the generation of His wrath.
- For the children of Judah have done that which is evil in My sight, saith the LORD;
they have set their detestable things in the house whereon My name is called, to defile it.
- And they have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire;
which I commanded not, neither came it into My mind.
- Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that it shall no more be called Topheth, nor The valley of the son of Hinnom, but The valley of slaughter;
for they shall bury in Topheth, for lack of room.
- And the carcasses of this people shall be food for the fowls of the heaven, and for the beasts of the earth;
and none shall frighten them away.
- Then will I cause to cease from the cities of Judah, and from the streets of Jerusalem, the voice of mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride;
for the land shall be desolate.