- Blow ye the horn in Zion, and sound an alarm in My holy mountain;
let all the inhabitants of the land tremble;
for the day of the LORD cometh, for it is at hand;
- A day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness, as blackness spread upon the mountains;
a great people and a mighty, there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after them, even to the years of many generations.
- A fire devoureth before them, and behind them a flame blazeth;
the land is as the garden of Eden before them, and behind them a desolate wilderness;
yea, and nothing escapeth them.
- The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses;
and as horsemen, so do they run.
- Like the noise of chariots, on the tops of the mountains do they leap, like the noise of a flame of fire that devoureth the stubble, as a mighty people set in battle array.
- At their presence the peoples are in anguish;
all faces have gathered blackness.
- They run like mighty men, they climb the wall like men of war;
and they move on every one in his ways, and they entangle not their paths.
- Neither doth one thrust another, they march every one in his highway;
and they break through the weapons, and suffer no harm.
- They leap upon the city, they run upon the wall, they climb up into the houses;
they enter in at the windows like a thief.
- Before them the earth quaketh, the heavens tremble;
the sun and the moon are become black, and the stars withdraw their shining.
- And the LORD uttereth His voice before His army;
for His camp is very great, for he is mighty that executeth His word;
for great is the day of the LORD and very terrible;
and who can abide it?
- Yet even now, saith the LORD, turn ye unto Me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with lamentation;
- And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God;
for He is gracious and compassionate, long-suffering, and abundant in mercy, and repenteth Him of the evil.
- Who knoweth whether He will not turn and repent, and leave a blessing behind Him, even a meal-offering and a drink-offering unto the LORD your God?
- Blow the horn in Zion, sanctify a fast, call a solemn assembly;
- Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts;
let the bridegroom go forth from his chamber, and the bride out of her pavilion.
- Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say: "Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not Thy heritage to reproach, that the nations should make them a byword: wherefore should they say among the peoples: Where is their God?"
- Then was the LORD jealous for His land, and had pity on His people.
- And the LORD answered and said unto His people: "Behold, I will send you corn, and wine, and oil, and ye shall be satisfied therewith;
and I will no more make you a reproach among the nations;
- But I will remove far off from you the northern one, and will drive him into a land barren and desolate, with his face toward the eastern sea, and his hinder part toward the western sea;
that his foulness may come up, and his ill savour may come up, because he hath done great things."
- Fear not, O land, be glad and rejoice;
for the LORD hath done great things.
- Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field;
for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth its fruit, the fig-tree and the vine do yield their strength.
- Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God;
for He giveth you the former rain in just measure, and He causeth to come down for you the rain, the former rain and the latter rain, at the first.
- And the floors shall be full of corn, and the vats shall overflow with wine and oil.
- And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the canker-worm, and the caterpiller, and the palmer-worm, My great army which I sent among you.
- And ye shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and shall praise the name of the LORD your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you;
and My people shall never be ashamed.
- And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and there is none else;
and My people shall never be ashamed.
- (3:1) And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh;
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions;
- (3:2) And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My spirit.
- (3:3) And I will shew wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke.
- (3:4) The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the LORD come.
- (3:5) And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered;
for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those that escape, as the LORD hath said, and among the remnant those whom the LORD shall call.