- Then answered Zophar the Naamathite, and said:
- Should not the multitude of words be answered?
And should a man full of talk be accounted right?
- Thy boastings have made men hold their peace, and thou hast mocked, with none to make thee ashamed;
- And thou hast said: "My doctrine is pure, and I am clean in Thine eyes."
- But oh that God would speak, and open His lips against thee;
- And that He would tell thee the secrets of wisdom, that sound wisdom is manifold!
Know therefore that God exacteth of thee less than thine iniquity deserveth.
- Canst thou find out the deep things of God?
Canst thou attain unto the purpose of the Almighty?
- It is high as heaven;
what canst thou do?
Deeper than the nether-world;
what canst thou know?
- The measure thereof is longer than the earth, and broader than the sea.
- If He pass by, and shut up, or gather in, then who can hinder Him?
- For He knoweth base men;
and when He seeth iniquity, will He not then consider it?
- But an empty man will get understanding, when a wild ass"s colt is born a man.
- If thou set thy heart aright, and stretch out thy hands toward Him -
- If iniquity be in thy hand, put it far away, and let not unrighteousness dwell in thy tents -
- Surely then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot;
yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear;
- For thou shalt forget thy misery;
thou shalt remember it as waters that are passed away;
- And thy life shall be clearer than the noonday;
though there be darkness, it shall be as the morning.
- And thou shalt be secure, because there is hope;
yea, thou shalt look about thee, and shalt take thy rest in safety.
- Also thou shalt lie down, and none shall make thee afraid;
yea, many shall make suit unto thee.
- But the eyes of the wicked shall fail, and they shall have no way to flee, and their hope shall be the drooping of the soul.