- Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.
- He cometh forth like a flower, and withereth;
he fleeth also as a shadow, and continueth not.
- And dost Thou open Thine eyes upon such a one, and bringest me into judgment with Thee?
- Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?
- Seeing his days are determined, the number of his months is with Thee, and Thou hast appointed his bounds that he cannot pass;
- Look away from him, that he may rest, till he shall accomplish, as a hireling, his day.
- For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
- Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground;
- Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and put forth boughs like a plant.
- But man dieth, and lieth low;
yea, man perisheth, and where is he?
- As the waters fail from the sea, and the river is drained dry;
- So man lieth down and riseth not;
till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be roused out of their sleep.
- Oh that Thou wouldest hide me in the nether-world, that Thou wouldest keep me secret, until Thy wrath be past, that Thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! -
- If a man die, may he live again?
All the days of my service would I wait, till my relief should come -
- Thou wouldest call, and I would answer Thee;
Thou wouldest have a desire to the work of Thy hands.
- But now Thou numberest my steps, Thou dost not even wait for my sin;
- My transgression is sealed up in a bag, and Thou heapest up mine iniquity.
- And surely the mountain falling crumbleth away, and the rock is removed out of its place;
- The waters wear the stones;
the overflowings thereof wash away the dust of the earth;
so Thou destroyest the hope of man.
- Thou prevailest for ever against him, and he passeth;
Thou changest his countenance, and sendest him away.
- His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not;
and they are brought low, but he regardeth them not.
- But his flesh grieveth for him, and his soul mourneth over him.