- And Job again took up his parable, and said:
- Oh that I were as in the months of old, as in the days when God watched over me;
- When His lamp shined above my head, and by His light I walked through darkness;
- As I was in the days of my youth, when the converse of God was upon my tent;
- When the Almighty was yet with me, and my children were about me;
- When my steps were washed with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil!
- When I went forth to the gate unto the city, when I prepared my seat in the broad place,
- The young men saw me and hid themselves, and the aged rose up and stood;
- The princes refrained talking, and laid their hand on their mouth;
- The voice of the nobles was hushed, and their tongue cleaved to the roof of their mouth.
- For when the ear heard me, then it blessed me, and when the eye saw me, it gave witness unto me;
- Because I delivered the poor that cried, the fatherless also, that had none to help him.
- The blessing of him that was ready to perish came upon me;
and I caused the widow"s heart to sing for joy.
- I put on righteousness, and it clothed itself with me;
my justice was as a robe and a diadem.
- I was eyes to the blind, and feet was I to the lame.
- I was a father to the needy;
and the cause of him that I knew not I searched out.
- And I broke the jaws of the unrighteous, and plucked the prey out of his teeth.
- Then I said: "I shall die with my nest, and I shall multiply my days as the phoenix;
- My root shall be spread out to the waters, and the dew shall lie all night upon my branch;
- My glory shall be fresh in me, and my bow shall be renewed in my hand."
- Unto me men gave ear, and waited, and kept silence for my counsel.
- After my words they spoke not again;
and my speech dropped upon them.
- And they waited for me as for the rain;
and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain.
- If I laughed on them, they believed it not;
and the light of my countenance they cast not down.
- I chose out their way, and sat as chief, and dwelt as a king in the army, as one that comforteth the mourners.