- Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said:
- How long wilt thou speak these things, seeing that the words of thy mouth are as a mighty wind?
- Doth God pervert judgment?
Or doth the Almighty pervert justice?
- If thy children sinned against Him, He delivered them into the hand of their transgression.
- If thou wouldest seek earnestly unto God, and make thy supplication to the Almighty;
- If thou wert pure and upright;
surely now He would awake for thee, and make the habitation of thy righteousness prosperous.
- And though thy beginning was small, yet thy end should greatly increase.
- For inquire, I pray thee, of the former generation, and apply thyself to that which their fathers have searched out -
- For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow -
- Shall not they teach thee, and tell thee, and utter words out of their heart?
- Can the rush shoot up without mire?
Can the reed-grass grow without water?
- Whilst it is yet in its greenness, and not cut down, it withereth before any other herb.
- So are the paths of all that forget God;
and the hope of the godless man shall perish;
- Whose confidence is gossamer, and whose trust is a spider"s web.
- He shall lean upon his house, but it shall not stand;
he shall hold fast thereby, but it shall not endure.
- He is green before the sun, and his shoots go forth over his garden.
- His roots are wrapped about the heap, he beholdeth the place of stones.
- If he be destroyed from his place, then it shall deny him: "I have not seen thee."
- Behold, this is the joy of his way, and out of the earth shall others spring.
- Behold, God will not cast away an innocent man, neither will He uphold the evil-doers;
- Till He fill thy mouth with laughter, and thy lips with shouting.
- They that hate thee shall be clothed with shame;
and the tent of the wicked shall be no more.