- (2:2) Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish"s belly.
- (2:3) And he said: I called out of mine affliction unto the LORD, and He answered me;
out of the belly of the nether-world cried I, and Thou heardest my voice.
- (2:4) For Thou didst cast me into the depth, in the heart of the seas, and the flood was round about me;
all Thy waves and Thy billows passed over me.
- (2:5) And I said: "I am cast out from before Thine eyes";
yet I will look again toward Thy holy temple.
- (2:6) The waters compassed me about, even to the soul;
the deep was round about me;
the weeds were wrapped about my head.
- (2:7) I went down to the bottoms of the mountains;
the earth with her bars closed upon me for ever;
yet hast Thou brought up my life from the pit, O LORD my God.
- (2:8) When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD;
and my prayer came in unto Thee, into Thy holy temple.
- (2:9) They that regard lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
- (2:10) But I will sacrifice unto Thee with the voice of thanksgiving;
that which I have vowed I will pay.
Salvation is of the LORD.
- (2:11) And the LORD spoke unto the fish, and it vomited out Jonah upon the dry land.