- And Joshua gathered all the tribes of Israel to Shechem, and called for the elders of Israel, and for their heads, and for their judges, and for their officers;
and they presented themselves before God.
- And Joshua said unto all the people: "Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel: Your fathers dwelt of old time beyond the River, even Terah, the father of Abraham, and the father of Nahor;
and they served other gods.
- And I took your father Abraham from beyond the River, and led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his seed, and gave him Isaac.
- And I gave unto Isaac Jacob and Esau;
and I gave unto Esau mount Seir, to possess it;
and Jacob and his children went down into Egypt.
- And I sent Moses and Aaron, and I plagued Egypt, according to that which I did in the midst thereof;
and afterward I brought you out.
- And I brought your fathers out of Egypt;
and ye came unto the sea;
and the Egyptians pursued after your fathers with chariots and with horsemen unto the Red Sea.
- And when they cried out unto the LORD, He put darkness between you and the Egyptians, and brought the sea upon them, and covered them;
and your eyes saw what I did in Egypt;
and ye dwelt in the wilderness many days.
- And I brought you into the land of the Amorites, that dwelt beyond the Jordan;
and they fought with you;
and I gave them into your hand, and ye possessed their land;
and I destroyed them from before you.
- Then Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, arose and fought against Israel;
and he sent and called Balaam the son of Beor to curse you.
- But I would not hearken unto Balaam;
therefore he even blessed you;
so I delivered you out of his hand.
- And ye went over the Jordan, and came unto Jericho;
and the men of Jericho fought against you, the Amorite, and the Perizzite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Girgashite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite;
and I delivered them into your hand.
- And I sent the hornet before you, which drove them out from before you, even the two kings of the Amorites;
not with thy sword, nor with thy bow.
- And I gave you a land whereon thou hadst not laboured, and cities which ye built not, and ye dwell therein;
of vineyards and olive-yards which ye planted not do ye eat.
- Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve Him in sincerity and in truth;
and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River, and in Egypt;
and serve ye the LORD.
- And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve;
whether the gods which your fathers served that were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell;
but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
- And the people answered and said: "Far be it from us that we should forsake the LORD, to serve other gods;
- for the LORD our God, He it is that brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and that did those great signs in our sight, and preserved us in all the way wherein we went, and among all the peoples through the midst of whom we passed;
- and the LORD drove out from before us all the peoples, even the Amorites that dwelt in the land;
therefore we also will serve the LORD;
for He is our God."
- And Joshua said unto the people: "Ye cannot serve the LORD;
for He is a holy God;
He is a jealous God;
He will not forgive your transgression nor your sins.
- If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then He will turn and do you evil, and consume you, after that He hath done you good."
- And the people said unto Joshua: "Nay;
but we will serve the LORD."
- And Joshua said unto the people: "Ye are witnesses against yourselves that ye have chosen you the LORD, to serve Him.
- And they said: "We are witnesses." -
- Now therefore put away the strange gods which are among you, and incline your heart unto the LORD, the God of Israel."
- And the people said unto Joshua: "The LORD our God will we serve, and unto His voice will we hearken."
- So Joshua made a covenant with the people that day, and set them a statute and an ordinance in Shechem.
- And Joshua wrote these words in the book of the law of God;
and he took a great stone, and set it up there under the oak that was by the sanctuary of the LORD.
- And Joshua said unto all the people: "Behold, this stone shall be a witness against us;
for it hath heard all the words of the LORD which He spoke unto us;
it shall be therefore a witness against you, lest ye deny your God."
- So Joshua sent the people away, every man unto his inheritance.
- And it came to pass after these things, that Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of the LORD, died, being a hundred and ten years old.
- And they buried him in the border of his inheritance in Timnath-serah, which is in the hill-country of Ephraim, on the north of the mountain of Gaash.
- And Israel served the LORD all the days of Joshua, and all the days of the elders that outlived Joshua, and had known all the work of the LORD, that He had wrought for Israel.
- And the bones of Joseph, which the children of Israel brought up out of Egypt, buried they in Shechem, in the parcel of ground which Jacob bought of the sons of Hamor the father of Shechem for a hundred pieces of money;
and they became the inheritance of the children of Joseph.
- And Eleazar the son of Aaron died;
and they buried him in the Hill of Phinehas his son, which was given him in mount Ephraim.