- How is the gold become dim!
How is the most fine gold changed!
The hallowed stones are poured out at the head of every street.
- The precious sons of Zion, comparable to fine gold, how are they esteemed as earthen pitchers, the work of the hands of the potter!
- Even the jackals draw out the breast, they give suck to their young ones;
the daughter of my people is become cruel, like the ostriches in the wilderness.
- The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst;
the young children ask bread, and none breaketh it unto them.
- They that did feed on dainties are desolate in the streets;
they that were brought up in scarlet embrace dunghills.
- For the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the sin of Sodom, that was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands fell upon her.
- Her princes were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk, they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was as of sapphire;
- Their visage is blacker than a coal;
they are not known in the streets;
their skin is shrivelled upon their bones;
it is withered, it is become like a stick.
- They that are slain with the sword are better than they that are slain with hunger;
for these pine away, stricken through, for want of the fruits of the field.
- The hands of women full of compassion have sodden their own children;
they were their food in the destruction of the daughter of my people.
- The LORD hath accomplished His fury, He hath poured out His fierce anger;
and He hath kindled a fire in Zion, which hath devoured the foundations thereof.
- The kings of the earth believed not, neither all the inhabitants of the world, that the adversary and the enemy would enter into the gates of Jerusalem.
- It is because of the sins of her prophets, and the iniquities of her priests, that have shed the blood of the just in the midst of her.
- They wander as blind men in the streets, they are polluted with blood, so that men cannot touch their garments.
- "Depart ye!
unclean!" men cried unto them, "Depart, depart, touch not";
yea, they fled away and wandered;
men said among the nations: "They shall no more sojourn here."
- The anger of the LORD hath divided them;
He will no more regard them;
they respected not the persons of the priests, they were not gracious unto the elders.
- As for us, our eyes do yet fail for our vain help;
in our watching we have watched for a nation that could not save.
- They hunt our steps, that we cannot go in our broad places;
our end is near, our days are fulfilled;
for our end is come.
- Our pursuers were swifter than the eagles of the heaven;
they chased us upon the mountains, they lay in wait for us in the wilderness.
- The breath of our nostrils, the anointed of the LORD, was taken in their pits;
of whom we said: "Under his shadow we shall live among the nations."
- Rejoice and be glad, O daughter of Edom, that dwellest in the land of Uz: the cup shall pass over unto thee also;
thou shalt be drunken, and shalt make thyself naked.
- The punishment of thine iniquity is accomplished, O daughter of Zion, He will no more carry thee away into captivity;
He will punish thine iniquity, O daughter of Edom, He will uncover thy sins.