- THE BURDEN of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.
- I have loved you, saith the LORD.
Yet ye say: "Wherein hast Thou loved us?" Was not Esau Jacob"s brother?
saith the LORD;
yet I loved Jacob;
- But Esau I hated, and made his mountains a desolation, and gave his heritage to the jackals of the wilderness.
- Whereas Edom saith: "We are beaten down, but we will return and build the waste places";
thus saith the LORD of hosts: They shall build, but I will throw down;
and they shall be called The border of wickedness, and The people whom the LORD execrateth for ever.
- And your eyes shall see, and ye shall say: "The LORD is great beyond the border of Israel."
- A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master;
if then I be a father, where is My honour?
and if I be a master, where is My fear?
saith the LORD of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise My name.
And ye say: "Wherein have we despised Thy name?"
- Ye offer polluted bread upon Mine altar.
And ye say: "Wherein have we polluted thee?" In that ye say: "The table of the LORD is contemptible."
- And when ye offer the blind for sacrifice, is it no evil!
And when ye offer the lame and sick, is it no evil!
Present it now unto thy governor;
will he be pleased with thee?
or will he accept thy person?
saith the LORD of hosts.
- And now, I pray you, entreat the favour of God that He may be gracious unto us!
- this hath been of your doing.
- will He accept any of your persons?
saith the LORD of hosts.
- Oh that there were even one among you that would shut the doors, that ye might not kindle fire on Mine altar in vain!
I have no pleasure in you, saith the LORD of hosts, neither will I accept an offering at your hand.
- For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same My name is great among the nations;
and in every place offerings are presented unto My name, even pure oblations;
for My name is great among the nations, saith the LORD of hosts.
- But ye profane it, in that ye say: "The table of the LORD is polluted, and the fruit thereof, even the food thereof, is contemptible."
- Ye say also: "Behold, what a weariness is it!" and ye have snuffed at it, saith the LORD of hosts;
and ye have brought that which was taken by violence, and the lame, and the sick;
thus ye bring the offering;
should I accept this of your hand?
saith the LORD.
- But cursed be he that dealeth craftily, whereas he hath in his flock a male, and voweth, and sacrificeth unto the Lord a blemished thing;
for I am a great King, saith the LORD of hosts, and My name is feared among the nations.