- Woe to them that devise iniquity and work evil upon their beds!
When the morning is light, they execute it, because it is in the power of their hand.
- And they covet fields, and seize them;
and houses, and take them away;
thus they oppress a man and his house, even a man and his heritage.
- Therefore thus saith the LORD: Behold, against this family do I devise an evil, from which ye shall not remove your necks, neither shall ye walk upright;
for it shall be an evil time.
- In that day shall they take up a parable against you, and lament with a doleful lamentation, and say: "We are utterly ruined;
he changeth the portion of my people;
how doth he remove it from me!
Instead of restoring our fields, he divideth them."
- Therefore thou shalt have none that shall cast the line by lot in the congregation of the LORD.
- "Preach ye not", they preach;
"They shall not preach of these things, that they shall not take shame."
- Do I change, O house of Jacob?
Is the spirit of the LORD straitened?
Are these His doings?
Do not My words do good to him that walketh uprightly?
- But of late My people is risen up as an enemy;
with the garment ye strip also the mantle from them that pass by securely, so that they are as men returning from war.
- The women of My people ye cast out from their pleasant houses;
from their young children ye take away My glory for ever.
- Arise ye, and depart;
for this is not your resting-place;
because of the uncleanness thereof, it shall destroy you, even with a sore destruction.
- If a man walking in wind and falsehood do lie: "I will preach unto thee of wine and of strong drink";
he shall even be the preacher of this people.
- I will surely assemble, O Jacob, all of thee;
I will surely gather the remnant of Israel;
I will render them all as sheep in a fold;
as a flock in the midst of their pasture;
they shall make great noise by reason of the multitude of men.
- The breaker is gone up before them;
they have broken forth and passed on, by the gate, and are gone out thereat;
and their king is passed on before them, and the LORD at the head of them.