- Hear ye now what the LORD saith: Arise, contend thou before the mountains, and let the hills hear thy voice.
- Hear, O ye mountains, the LORD"S controversy, and ye enduring rocks, the foundations of the earth;
for the LORD hath a controversy with His people, and He will plead with Israel.
- O My people, what have I done unto thee?
And wherein have I wearied thee?
Testify against Me.
- For I brought thee up out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed thee out of the house of bondage, and I sent before thee Moses, Aaron, and Miriam.
- O My people, remember now what Balak king of Moab devised, and what Balaam the son of Beor answered him;
from Shittim unto Gilgal, that ye may know the righteous acts of the LORD.
- "Wherewith shall I come before the LORD, and bow myself before God on high?
Shall I come before Him with burnt-offerings, with calves of a year old?
- Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams, with ten thousands of rivers of oil?
Shall I give my first-born for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?"
- It hath been told thee, O man, what is good, and what the LORD doth require of thee: only to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God.
the LORD crieth unto the city - and it is wisdom to have regard for Thy name - hear ye the rod, and who hath appointed it.
- Are there yet the treasures of wickedness in the house of the wicked, and the scant measure that is abominable?
- "Shall I be pure with wicked balances, and with a bag of deceitful weights?"
- For the rich men thereof are full of violence, and the inhabitants thereof have spoken lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth.
- Therefore I also do smite thee with a grievous wound;
I do make thee desolate because of thy sins.
- Thou shalt eat, but not be satisfied;
and thy sickness shall be in thine inward parts;
and thou shalt conceive, but shalt not bring forth;
and whomsoever thou bringest forth will I give up to the sword.
- Thou shalt sow, but shalt not reap;
thou shalt tread the olives, but shalt not anoint thee with oil;
and the vintage, but shalt not drink wine.
- For the statutes of Omri are kept, and all the works of the house of Ahab, and ye walk in their counsels;
that I may make thee an astonishment, and the inhabitants thereof a hissing;
and ye shall bear the reproach of My people.