- (2:2) A maul is come up before thy face;
guard the defences, watch the way, make thy loins strong, fortify thy power mightily! -
- (2:3) For the LORD restoreth the pride of Jacob, as the pride of Israel;
for the emptiers have emptied them out, and marred their vine-branches. -
- (2:4) The shield of his mighty men is made red, the valiant men are in scarlet;
the chariots are fire of steel in the day of his preparation, and the cypress spears are made to quiver.
- (2:5) The chariots rush madly in the streets, they jostle one against another in the broad places;
the appearance of them is like torches, they run to and fro like the lightnings.
- (2:6) He bethinketh himself of his worthies;
they stumble in their march;
they make haste to the wall thereof, and the mantelet is prepared.
- (2:7) The gates of the rivers are opened, and the palace is dissolved.
- (2:8) And the queen is uncovered, she is carried away, and her handmaids moan as with the voice of doves, tabering upon their breasts.
- (2:9) But Nineveh hath been from of old like a pool of water;
yet they flee away;
but none looketh back.
- (2:10) Take ye the spoil of silver, take the spoil of gold;
for there is no end of the store, rich with all precious vessels.
- (2:11) She is empty, and void, and waste;
and the heart melteth, and the knees smite together, and convulsion is in all loins, and the faces of them all have gathered blackness.
- (2:12) Where is the den of the lions, which was the feeding-place of the young lions, where the lion and the lioness walked, and the lion"s whelp, and none made them afraid?
- (2:13) The lion did tear in pieces enough for his whelps, and strangled for his lionesses, and filled his caves with prey, and his dens with ravin.
- (2:14) Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts, and I will burn her chariots in the smoke, and the sword shall devour thy young lions;
and I will cut off thy prey from the earth, and the voice of thy messengers shall no more be heard.