- (17:16) And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying:
- (17:17) "Speak unto the children of Israel, and take of them rods, one for each fathers" house, of all their princes according to their fathers" houses, twelve rods;
thou shalt write every man"s name upon his rod.
- (17:18) And thou shalt write Aaron"s name upon the rod of Levi, for there shall be one rod for the head of their fathers" houses.
- (17:19) And thou shalt lay them up in the tent of meeting before the testimony, where I meet with you.
- (17:20) And it shall come to pass, that the man whom I shall choose, his rod shall bud;
and I will make to cease from Me the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against you."
- (17:21) And Moses spoke unto the children of Israel;
and all their princes gave him rods, for each prince one, according to their fathers" houses, even twelve rods;
and the rod of Aaron was among their rods.
- (17:22) And Moses laid up the rods before the LORD in the tent of the testimony.
- (17:23) And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses went into the tent of the testimony;
and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and put forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and bore ripe almonds.
- (17:24) And Moses brought out all the rods from before the LORD unto all the children of Israel;
and they looked, and took every man his rod.
- (17:25) And the LORD said unto Moses: "Put back the rod of Aaron before the testimony, to be kept there, for a token against the rebellious children;
that there may be made an end of their murmurings against Me, that they die not."
- (17:26) Thus did Moses;
as the LORD commanded him, so did he.
- (17:27) And the children of Israel spoke unto Moses, saying: "Behold, we perish, we are undone, we are all undone.
- (17:28) Every one that cometh near, that cometh near unto the tabernacle of the LORD, is to die;
shall we wholly perish?"