- Why standest Thou afar off, O LORD?
Why hidest Thou Thyself in times of trouble?
- Through the pride of the wicked the poor is hotly pursued, they are taken in the devices that they have imagined.
- For the wicked boasteth of his heart"s desire, and the covetous vaunteth himself, though he contemn the LORD.
- The wicked, in the pride of his countenance, saith: "He will not require";
all his thoughts are: "There is no God."
- His ways prosper at all times;
Thy judgments are far above out of his sight;
as for all his adversaries, he puffeth at them.
- He saith in his heart: "I shall not be moved, I who to all generations shall not be in adversity."
- His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and oppression;
under his tongue is mischief and iniquity.
- He sitteth in the lurking-places of the villages;
in secret places doth he slay the innocent;
his eyes are on the watch for the helpless.
- He lieth in wait in a secret place as a lion in his lair, he lieth in wait to catch the poor;
he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him up in his net.
- He croucheth, he boweth down, and the helpless fall into his mighty claws.
- He hath said in his heart: "God hath forgotten;
He hideth His face;
He will never see."
- Arise, O LORD;
O God, lift up Thy hand;
forget not the humble.
- Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God, and say in his heart: "Thou wilt not require"?
- Thou hast seen;
for Thou beholdest trouble and vexation, to requite them with Thy hand;
unto Thee the helpless committeth himself;
Thou hast been the helper of the fatherless.
- Break Thou the arm of the wicked;
and as for the evil man, search out his wickedness, till none be found.
- The LORD is King for ever and ever;
the nations are perished out of His land.
- LORD, Thou hast heard the desire of the humble: Thou wilt direct their heart, Thou wilt cause Thine ear to attend;
- To right the fatherless and the oppressed, that man who is of the earth may be terrible no more.