O give thanks unto the LORD;
for He is good;
for His mercy endureth for ever.
- Who can express the mighty acts of the LORD, or make all His praise to be heard?
- Happy are they that keep justice, that do righteousness at all times.
- Remember me, O LORD, when Thou favourest Thy people;
O think of me at Thy salvation;
- That I may behold the prosperity of Thy chosen, that I may rejoice in the gladness of Thy nation, that I may glory with Thine inheritance.
- We have sinned with our fathers, we have done iniquitously, we have dealt wickedly.
- Our fathers in Egypt gave no heed unto Thy wonders;
they remembered not the multitude of Thy mercies;
but were rebellious at the sea, even at the Red Sea.
- Nevertheless He saved them for His name"s sake, that He might make His mighty power to be known.
- And He rebuked the Red Sea, and it was dried up;
and He led them through the depths, as through a wilderness.
- And He saved them from the hand of him that hated them, and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
- And the waters covered their adversaries;
there was not one of them left.
- Then believed they His words;
they sang His praise.
- They soon forgot His works;
they waited not for His counsel;
- But lusted exceedingly in the wilderness, and tried God in the desert.
- And He gave them their request;
but sent leanness into their soul.
- They were jealous also of Moses in the camp, and of Aaron the holy one of the LORD.
- The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan, and covered the company of Abiram.
- And a fire was kindled in their company;
the flame burned up the wicked.
- They made a calf in Horeb, and worshipped a molten image.
- Thus they exchanged their glory for the likeness of an ox that eateth grass.
- They forgot God their saviour, who had done great things in Egypt;
- Wondrous works in the land of Ham, terrible things by the Red Sea.
- Therefore He said that He would destroy them, had not Moses His chosen stood before Him in the breach, to turn back His wrath, lest He should destroy them.
- Moreover, they scorned the desirable land, they believed not His word;
- And they murmured in their tents, they hearkened not unto the voice of the LORD.
- Therefore He swore concerning them, that He would overthrow them in the wilderness;
- And that He would cast out their seed among the nations, and scatter them in the lands.
- They joined themselves also unto Baal of Peor, and ate the sacrifices of the dead.
- Thus they provoked Him with their doings, and the plague broke in upon them.
- Then stood up Phinehas, and wrought judgment, and so the plague was stayed.
- And that was counted unto him for righteousness, unto all generations for ever.
- They angered Him also at the waters of Meribah, and it went ill with Moses because of them;
- For they embittered his spirit, and he spoke rashly with his lips.
- They did not destroy the peoples, as the LORD commanded them;
- But mingled themselves with the nations, and learned their works;
- And they served their idols, which became a snare unto them;
- Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto demons,
- And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan;
and the land was polluted with blood.
- Thus were they defiled with their works, and went astray in their doings.
- Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against His people, and He abhorred His inheritance.
- And He gave them into the hand of the nations;
and they that hated them ruled over them.
- Their enemies also oppressed them, and they were subdued under their hand.
- Many times did He deliver them;
but they were rebellious in their counsel, and sank low through their iniquity.
- Nevertheless He looked upon their distress, when He heard their cry;
- And He remembered for them His covenant, and repented according to the multitude of His mercies.
- He made them also to be pitied of all those that carried them captive.
- Save us, O LORD our God, and gather us from among the nations, that we may give thanks unto Thy holy name, that we may triumph in Thy praise.
- Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel, from everlasting even to everlasting, and let all the people say: "Amen." Hallelujah.