- For the Leader.
A Psalm of David.
O God of my praise, keep not silence;
- For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of deceit have they opened against me;
they have spoken unto me with a lying tongue.
- They compassed me about also with words of hatred, and fought against me without a cause.
- In return for my love they are my adversaries;
but I am all prayer.
- And they have laid upon me evil for good, and hatred for my love:
- "Set Thou a wicked man over him;
and let an adversary stand at his right hand.
- When he is judged, let him go forth condemned;
and let his prayer be turned into sin.
- Let his days be few;
let another take his charge.
- Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow.
- Let his children be vagabonds, and beg;
and let them seek their bread out of their desolate places.
- Let the creditor distrain all that he hath;
and let strangers make spoil of his labour.
- Let there be none to extend kindness unto him;
neither let there be any to be gracious unto his fatherless children.
- Let his posterity be cut off;
in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
- Let the iniquity of his fathers be brought to remembrance unto the LORD;
and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
- Let them be before the LORD continually, that He may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
- Because that he remembered not to do kindness, but persecuted the poor and needy man, and the broken in heart he was ready to slay.
- Yea, he loved cursing, and it came unto him;
and he delighted not in blessing, and it is far from him.
- He clothed himself also with cursing as with his raiment, and it is come into his inward parts like water, and like oil into his bones.
- Let it be unto him as the garment which he putteth on, and for the girdle wherewith he is girded continually."
- This would mine adversaries effect from the LORD, and they that speak evil against my soul.
- But Thou, O GOD the Lord, deal with me for Thy name"s sake;
because Thy mercy is good, deliver Thou me.
- For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me.
- I am gone like the shadow when it lengtheneth;
I am shaken off as the locust.
- My knees totter through fasting;
and my flesh is lean, and hath no fatness.
- I am become also a taunt unto them;
when they see me, they shake their head.
- Help me, O LORD my God;
O save me according to Thy mercy;
- That they may know that this is Thy hand;
that Thou, LORD, hast done it.
- Let them curse, but bless Thou;
when they arise, they shall be put to shame, but Thy servant shall rejoice.
- Mine adversaries shall be clothed with confusion, and shall put on their own shame as a robe.
- I will give great thanks unto the LORD with my mouth;
yea, I will praise Him among the multitude;
- Because He standeth at the right hand of the needy, to save him from them that judge his soul.