- For the Leader.
A Psalm of David.
O LORD, Thou hast searched me, and known me.
- Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, Thou understandest my thought afar off.
- Thou measurest my going about and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
- For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, Thou knowest it altogether.
- Thou hast hemmed me in behind and before, and laid Thy hand upon me.
- Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
too high, I cannot attain unto it.
- Whither shall I go from Thy spirit?
or whither shall I flee from Thy presence?
- If I ascend up into heaven, Thou art there;
if I make my bed in the nether-world, behold, Thou art there.
- If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
- Even there would Thy hand lead me, and Thy right hand would hold me.
- And if I say: "Surely the darkness shall envelop me, and the light about me shall be night";
- Even the darkness is not too dark for Thee, but the night shineth as the day;
the darkness is even as the light.
- For Thou hast made my reins;
Thou hast knit me together in my mother"s womb.
- I will give thanks unto Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
wonderful are Thy works;
and that my soul knoweth right well.
- My frame was not hidden from Thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
- Thine eyes did see mine unformed substance, and in Thy book they were all written - even the days that were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
- How weighty also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
- If I would count them, they are more in number than the sand;
were I to come to the end of them, I would still be with Thee.
- If Thou but wouldest slay the wicked, O God - depart from me therefore, ye men of blood;
- Who utter Thy name with wicked thought, they take it for falsehood, even Thine enemies -
- Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate Thee?
And do not I strive with those that rise up against Thee?
- I hate them with utmost hatred;
I count them mine enemies.
- Search me, O God, and know my heart, try me, and know my thoughts;
- And see if there be any way in me that is grievous, and lead me in the way everlasting.