- (22:1) For the Leader;
upon Aijeleth ha-Shahar.
A Psalm of David.
(22:2) My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me, and art far from my help at the words of my cry?
- (22:3) O my God, I call by day, but Thou answerest not;
and at night, and there is no surcease for me.
- (22:4) Yet Thou art holy, O Thou that art enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
- (22:5) In Thee did our fathers trust;
they trusted, and Thou didst deliver them.
- (22:6) Unto Thee they cried, and escaped;
in Thee did they trust, and were not ashamed.
- (22:7) But I am a worm, and no man;
a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
- (22:8) All they that see me laugh me to scorn;
they shoot out the lip, they shake the head:
- (22:9) "Let him commit himself unto the LORD!
let Him rescue him;
let Him deliver him, seeing He delighteth in him."
- (22:10) For Thou art He that took me out of the womb;
Thou madest me trust when I was upon my mother"s breasts.
- (22:11) Upon Thee I have been cast from my birth;
Thou art my God from my mother"s womb.
- (22:12) Be not far from me;
for trouble is near;
for there is none to help.
- (22:13) Many bulls have encompassed me;
strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.
- (22:14) They open wide their mouth against me, as a ravening and a roaring lion.
- (22:15) I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is become like wax;
it is melted in mine inmost parts.
- (22:16) My strength is dried up like a potsherd;
and my tongue cleaveth to my throat;
and Thou layest me in the dust of death.
- (22:17) For dogs have encompassed me;
a company of evil-doers have inclosed me;
like a lion, they are at my hands and my feet.
- (22:18) I may count all my bones;
they look and gloat over me.
- (22:19) They part my garments among them, and for my vesture do they cast lots.
- (22:20) But Thou, O LORD, be not far off;
O Thou my strength, hasten to help me.
- (22:21) Deliver my soul from the sword;
mine only one from the power of the dog.
- (22:22) Save me from the lion"s mouth;
yea, from the horns of the wild-oxen do Thou answer me.
- (22:23) I will declare Thy name unto my brethren;
in the midst of the congregation will I praise Thee.
- (22:24) "Ye that fear the LORD, praise Him;
all ye the seed of Jacob, glorify Him;
and stand in awe of Him, all ye the seed of Israel.
- (22:25) For He hath not despised nor abhorred the lowliness of the poor;
neither hath He hid His face from him;
but when he cried unto Him, He heard."
- (22:26) From Thee cometh my praise in the great congregation;
I will pay my vows before them that fear Him.
- (22:27) Let the humble eat and be satisfied;
let them praise the LORD that seek after Him;
may your heart be quickened for ever!
- (22:28) All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn unto the LORD;
and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before Thee.
- (22:29) For the kingdom is the LORD"S;
and He is the ruler over the nations.
- (22:30) All the fat ones of the earth shall eat and worship;
all they that go down to the dust shall kneel before Him, even he that cannot keep his soul alive.
- (22:31) A seed shall serve him;
it shall be told of the Lord unto the next generation.
- (22:32) They shall come and shall declare His righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that He hath done it.