- (31:1) For the Leader.
A Psalm of David.
(31:2) In thee, O LORD, have I taken refuge;
let me never be ashamed;
deliver me in Thy righteousness.
- (31:3) Incline Thine ear unto me, deliver me speedily;
be Thou to me a rock of refuge, even a fortress of defence, to save me.
- (31:4) For Thou art my rock and my fortress;
therefore for Thy name"s sake lead me and guide me.
- (31:5) Bring me forth out of the net that they have hidden for me;
for Thou art my stronghold.
- (31:6) Into Thy hand I commit my spirit;
Thou hast redeemed me, O LORD, Thou God of truth.
- (31:7) I hate them that regard lying vanities;
but I trust in the LORD.
- (31:8) I will be glad and rejoice in Thy lovingkindness;
for Thou hast seen mine affliction, Thou hast taken cognizance of the troubles of my soul,
- (31:9) And Thou hast not given me over into the hand of the enemy;
Thou hast set my feet in a broad place.
- (31:10) Be gracious unto me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
mine eye wasteth away with vexation, yea, my soul and my body.
- (31:11) For my life is spent in sorrow, and my years in sighing;
my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are wasted away.
- (31:12) Because of all mine adversaries I am become a reproach, yea, unto my neighbours exceedingly, and a dread to mine acquaintance;
they that see me without flee from me.
- (31:13) I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind;
I am like a useless vessel.
- (31:14) For I have heard the whispering of many, terror on every side;
while they took counsel together against me, they devised to take away my life.
- (31:15) But as for me, I have trusted in Thee, O LORD;
I have said: "Thou art my God."
- (31:16) My times are in Thy hand;
deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me.
- (31:17) Make Thy face to shine upon Thy servant;
save me in Thy lovingkindness.
- (31:18) O LORD, let me not be ashamed, for I have called upon Thee;
let the wicked be ashamed, let them be put to silence in the nether-world.
- (31:19) Let the lying lips be dumb, which speak arrogantly against the righteous, with pride and contempt.
- (31:20) Oh how abundant is Thy goodness, which Thou hast laid up for them that fear Thee;
which Thou hast wrought for them that take their refuge in Thee, in the sight of the sons of men!
- (31:21) Thou hidest them in the covert of Thy presence from the plottings of man;
Thou concealest them in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.
- (31:22) Blessed be the LORD;
for He hath shown me His wondrous lovingkindness in an entrenched city.
- (31:23) As for me, I said in my haste: "I am cut off from before Thine eyes";
nevertheless Thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto Thee.
- (31:24) O love the LORD, all ye His godly ones;
the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully repayeth him that acteth haughtily.
- (31:25) Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all ye that wait for the LORD.