- A Psalm of David.
Strive, O LORD, with them that strive with me;
fight against them that fight against me.
- Take hold of shield and buckler, and rise up to my help.
- Draw out also the spear, and the battle-axe, against them that pursue me;
say unto my soul: "I am Thy salvation."
- Let them be ashamed and brought to confusion that seek after my soul;
let them be turned back and be abashed that devise my hurt.
- Let them be as chaff before the wind, the angel of the LORD thrusting them.
- Let their way be dark and slippery, the angel of the LORD pursuing them.
- For without cause have they hid for me the pit, even their net, without cause have they digged for my soul.
- Let destruction come upon him unawares;
and let his net that he hath hid catch himself;
with destruction let him fall therein.
- And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD;
it shall rejoice in His salvation.
- All my bones shall say: "LORD, who is like unto Thee, who deliverest the poor from him that is too strong for him, yea, the poor and the needy from him that spoileth him?"
- Unrighteous witnesses rise up;
they ask me of things that I know not.
- They repay me evil for good;
bereavement is come to my soul.
- But as for me, when they were sick, my clothing was sackcloth, I afflicted my soul with fasting;
and my prayer, may it return into mine own bosom.
- I went about as though it had been my friend or my brother;
I bowed down mournful, as one that mourneth for his mother.
- But when I halt they rejoice, and gather themselves together;
the abjects gather themselves together against me, and those whom I know not;
they tear me, and cease not;
- With the profanest mockeries of backbiting they gnash at me with their teeth.
- Lord, how long wilt Thou look on?
Rescue my soul from their destructions, mine only one from the lions.
- I will give Thee thanks in the great congregation;
I will praise Thee among a numerous people.
- Let not them that are wrongfully mine enemies rejoice over me;
neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.
- For they speak not peace;
but they devise deceitful matters against them that are quiet in the land.
- Yea, they open their mouth wide against me;
they say: "Aha, aha, our eye hath seen it."
- Thou hast seen, O LORD;
keep not silence;
O Lord, be not far from me.
- Rouse Thee, and awake to my judgment, even unto my cause, my God and my Lord.
- Judge me, O LORD my God, according to Thy righteousness;
and let them not rejoice over me.
- Let them not say in their heart: "Aha, we have our desire";
let them not say: "We have swallowed him up."
- Let them be ashamed and abashed together that rejoice at my hurt;
let them be clothed with shame and confusion that magnify themselves against me.
- Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that delight in my righteousness;
yea, let them say continually: "Magnified be the LORD, who delighteth in the peace of His servant."
- And my tongue shall speak of Thy righteousness, and of Thy praise all the day.