- (38:1) A Psalm of David, to make memorial.
(38:2) O LORD, rebuke me not in Thine anger;
neither chasten me in Thy wrath.
- (38:3) For Thine arrows are gone deep into me, and Thy hand is come down upon me.
- (38:4) There is no soundness in my flesh because of Thine indignation;
neither is there any health in my bones because of my sin.
- (38:5) For mine iniquities are gone over my head;
as a heavy burden they are too heavy for me.
- (38:6) My wounds are noisome, they fester, because of my foolishness.
- (38:7) I am bent and bowed down greatly;
I go mourning all the day.
- (38:8) For my loins are filled with burning;
and there is no soundness in my flesh.
- (38:9) I am benumbed and sore crushed;
I groan by reason of the moaning of my heart.
- (38:10) Lord, all my desire is before Thee;
and my sighing is not hid from Thee.
- (38:11) My heart fluttereth, my strength faileth me;
as for the light of mine eyes, it also is gone from me.
- (38:12) My friends and my companions stand aloof from my plague;
and my kinsmen stand afar off.
- (38:13) They also that seek after my life lay snares for me;
and they that seek my hurt speak crafty devices, and utter deceits all the day.
- (38:14) But I am as a deaf man, I hear not;
and I am as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.
- (38:15) Yea, I am become as a man that heareth not, and in whose mouth are no arguments.
- (38:16) For in Thee, O LORD, do I hope;
Thou wilt answer, O Lord my God.
- (38:17) For I said: "Lest they rejoice over me;
when my foot slippeth, they magnify themselves against me."
- (38:18) For I am ready to halt, and my pain is continually before me.
- (38:19) For I do declare mine iniquity;
I am full of care because of my sin.
- (38:20) But mine enemies are strong in health;
and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.
- (38:21) They also that repay evil for good are adversaries unto me, because I follow the thing that is good.
- (38:22) Forsake me not, O LORD;
O my God, be not far from me.
- (38:23) Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation.