- (39:1) For the Leader, for Jeduthun.
A Psalm of David.
(39:2) I said: "I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue;
I will keep a curb upon my mouth, while the wicked is before me."
- (39:3) I was dumb with silence;
I held my peace, had no comfort;
and my pain was held in check.
- (39:4) My heart waxed hot within me;
while I was musing, the fire kindled;
then spoke I with my tongue:
- (39:5) "LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is;
let me know how short-lived I am.
- (39:6) Behold, Thou hast made my days as hand-breadths;
and mine age is as nothing before Thee;
surely every man at his best estate is altogether vanity.
- (39:7) Surely man walketh as a mere semblance;
surely for vanity they are in turmoil;
he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.
- (39:8) And now, Lord, what wait I for?
My hope, it is in Thee.
- (39:9) Deliver me from all my transgressions;
make me not the reproach of the base.
- (39:10) I am dumb, I open not my mouth;
because Thou hast done it.
- (39:11) Remove Thy stroke from off me;
I am consumed by the blow of Thy hand.
- (39:12) With rebukes dost Thou chasten man for iniquity, and like a moth Thou makest his beauty to consume away;
surely every man is vanity.
- (39:13) Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry;
keep not silence at my tears;
for I am a stranger with Thee, a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
- (39:14) Look away from me, that I may take comfort, before I go hence, and be no more."