- (40:1) For the Leader.
A Psalm of David.
(40:2) I waited patiently for the LORD;
and He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
- (40:3) He brought me up also out of the tumultuous pit, out of the miry clay;
and He set my feet upon a rock, He established my goings.
- (40:4) And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God;
many shall see, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.
- (40:5) Happy is the man that hath made the LORD his trust, and hath not turned unto the arrogant, nor unto such as fall away treacherously.
- (40:6) Many things hast Thou done, O LORD my God, even Thy wonderful works, and Thy thoughts toward us;
there is none to be compared unto Thee!
If I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be told.
- (40:7) Sacrifice and meal-offering Thou hast no delight in;
mine ears hast Thou opened;
burnt-offering and sin-offering hast Thou not required.
- (40:8) Then said I: "Lo, I am come with the roll of a book which is prescribed for me;
- (40:9) I delight to do Thy will, O my God;
yea, Thy law is in my inmost parts."
- (40:10) I have preached righteousness in the great congregation, lo, I did not refrain my lips;
O LORD, Thou knowest.
- (40:11) I have not hid Thy righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation;
I have not concealed Thy mercy and Thy truth from the great congregation.
- (40:12) Thou, O LORD, wilt not withhold Thy compassions from me;
let Thy mercy and Thy truth continually preserve me.
- (40:13) For innumerable evils have compassed me about, mine iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;
they are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart hath failed me.
- (40:14) Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me;
O LORD, make haste to help me.
- (40:15) Let them be ashamed and abashed together that seek after my soul to sweep it away;
let them be turned backward and brought to confusion that delight in my hurt.
- (40:16) Let them be appalled by reason of their shame that say unto me: "Aha, aha."
- (40:17) Let all those that seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee;
let such as love Thy salvation say continually: "The LORD be magnified."
- (40:18) But, as for me, that am poor and needy, the Lord will account it unto me;
Thou art my help and my deliverer;
O my God, tarry not.