- (51:1) For the Leader.
A Psalm of David;
(51:2) When Nathan the prophet came unto him, after he had gone in to Bath-sheba.
(51:3) Be gracious unto me, O God, according to Thy mercy;
according to the multitude of Thy compassions blot out my transgressions.
- (51:4) Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
- (51:5) For I know my transgressions;
and my sin is ever before me.
- (51:6) Against Thee, Thee only, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in Thy sight;
that Thou mayest be justified when Thou speakest, and be in the right when Thou judgest.
- (51:7) Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
- (51:8) Behold, Thou desirest truth in the inward parts;
make me, therefore, to know wisdom in mine inmost heart.
- (51:9) Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
- (51:10) Make me to hear joy and gladness;
that the bones which Thou hast crushed may rejoice.
- (51:11) Hide Thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
- (51:12) Create me a clean heart, O God;
and renew a stedfast spirit within me.
- (51:13) Cast me not away from Thy presence;
and take not Thy holy spirit from me.
- (51:14) Restore unto me the joy of Thy salvation;
and let a willing spirit uphold me.
- (51:15) Then will I teach transgressors Thy ways;
and sinners shall return unto Thee.
- (51:16) Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation;
so shall my tongue sing aloud of Thy righteousness.
- (51:17) O Lord, open Thou my lips;
and my mouth shall declare Thy praise.
- (51:18) For Thou delightest not in sacrifice, else would I give it;
Thou hast no pleasure in burnt-offering.
- (51:19) The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and a contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise.
- (51:20) Do good in Thy favour unto Zion;
build Thou the walls of Jerusalem.
- (51:21) Then wilt Thou delight in the sacrifices of righteousness, in burnt-offering and whole offering;
then will they offer bullocks upon Thine altar.