- (53:1) For the Leader;
Maschil of David.
(53:2) The fool hath said in his heart: "There is no God";
they have dealt corruptly, and have done abominable iniquity;
there is none that doeth good.
- (53:3) God looked forth from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any man of understanding, that did seek after God.
- (53:4) Every one of them is unclean, they are together become impure;
there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
- (53:5) "Shall not the workers of iniquity know it, who eat up My people as they eat bread, and call not upon God?"
- (53:6) There are they in great fear, where no fear was;
for God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee;
Thou hast put them to shame, because God hath rejected them.
- (53:7) Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion!
When God turneth the captivity of His people, let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.