- (56:1) For the Leader;
A Psalm of David;
when the Philistines took him in Gath.
(56:2) Be gracious unto me, O God, for man would swallow me up;
all the day he fighting oppresseth me.
- (56:3) They that lie in wait for me would swallow me up all the day;
for they are many that fight against me, O Most High,
- (56:4) In the day that I am afraid, I will put my trust in Thee.
- (56:5) In God - I will praise His word - in God do I trust, I will not be afraid;
what can flesh do unto me?
- (56:6) All the day they trouble mine affairs;
all their thoughts are against me for evil.
- (56:7) They gather themselves together, they hide themselves, they mark my steps;
according as they have waited for my soul.
- (56:8) Because of iniquity cast them out;
in anger bring down the peoples, O God.
- (56:9) Thou has counted my wanderings;
put Thou my tears into Thy bottle;
are they not in Thy book?
- (56:10) Then shall mine enemies turn back in the day that I call;
this I know, that God is for me.
- (56:11) In God - I will praise His word - in the LORD - I will praise His word -
- (56:12) In God do I trust, I will not be afraid;
what can man do unto me?
- (56:13) Thy vows are upon me, O God;
I will render thank-offerings unto Thee.
- (56:14) For thou hast delivered my soul from death;
hast Thou not delivered my feet from stumbling?
that I may walk before God in the light of the living?