- (69:1) For the Leader;
A Psalm of David.
(69:2) Save me, O God;
for the waters are come in even unto the soul.
- (69:3) I am sunk in deep mire, where there is no standing;
I am come into deep waters, and the flood overwhelmeth me.
- (69:4) I am weary of my crying;
my throat is dried;
mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.
- (69:5) They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head;
they that would cut me off, being mine enemies wrongfully, are many;
should I restore that which I took not away?
- (69:6) O God, Thou knowest my folly;
and my trespasses are not hid from Thee.
- (69:7) Let not them that wait for Thee be ashamed through me, O Lord GOD of hosts;
let not those that seek Thee be brought to confusion through me, O God of Israel.
- (69:8) Because for Thy sake I have borne reproach;
confusion hath covered my face.
- (69:9) I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother"s children.
- (69:10) Because zeal for Thy house hath eaten me up, and the reproaches of them that reproach Thee are fallen upon me.
- (69:11) And I wept with my soul with fasting, and that became unto me a reproach.
- (69:12) I made sackcloth also my garment, and I became a byword unto them.
- (69:13) They that sit in the gate talk of me;
and I am the song of the drunkards.
- (69:14) But as for me, let my prayer be unto Thee, O LORD, in an acceptable time;
O God, in the abundance of Thy mercy, answer me with the truth of Thy salvation.
- (69:15) Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink;
let me be delivered from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
- (69:16) Let not the waterflood overwhelm me, neither let the deep swallow me up;
and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.
- (69:17) Answer me, O LORD, for Thy mercy is good;
according to the multitude of Thy compassions turn Thou unto me.
- (69:18) And hide not Thy face from Thy servant;
for I am in distress;
answer me speedily.
- (69:19) Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it;
ransom me because of mine enemies.
- (69:20) Thou knowest my reproach, and my shame, and my confusion;
mine adversaries are all before Thee.
- (69:21) Reproach hath broken my heart;
and I am sore sick;
and I looked for some to show compassion, but there was none;
and for comforters, but I found none.
- (69:22) Yea, they put poison into my food;
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- (69:23) Let their table before them become a snare;
and when they are in peace, let it become a trap.
- (69:24) Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not;
and make their loins continually to totter.
- (69:25) Pour out Thine indignation upon them, and let the fierceness of Thine anger overtake them.
- (69:26) Let their encampment be desolate;
let none dwell in their tents.
- (69:27) For they persecute him whom Thou hast smitten;
and they tell of the pain of those whom Thou hast wounded.
- (69:28) Add iniquity unto their iniquity;
and let them not come into Thy righteousness.
- (69:29) Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous.
- (69:30) But I am afflicted and in pain;
let Thy salvation, O God, set me up on high.
- (69:31) I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving.
- (69:32) And it shall please the LORD better than a bullock that hath horns and hoofs.
- (69:33) The humble shall see it, and be glad;
ye that seek after God, let your heart revive.
- (69:34) For the LORD hearkeneth unto the needy, and despiseth not His prisoners.
- (69:35) Let heaven and earth praise Him, the seas, and every thing that moveth therein.
- (69:36) For God will save Zion, and build the cities of Judah;
and they shall abide there, and have it in possession.
- (69:37) The seed also of His servants shall inherit it;
and they that love His name shall dwell therein.