- A Psalm of Asaph.
Surely God is good to Israel, even to such as are pure in heart.
- But as for me, my feet were almost gone;
my steps had well nigh slipped.
- For I was envious at the arrogant, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
- For there are no pangs at their death, and their body is sound.
- In the trouble of man they are not;
neither are they plagued like men.
- Therefore pride is as a chain about their neck;
violence covereth them as a garment.
- Their eyes stand forth from fatness;
they are gone beyond the imaginations of their heart.
- They scoff, and in wickedness utter oppression;
they speak as if there were none on high.
- They have set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.
- Therefore His people return hither;
and waters of fullness are drained out by them.
- And they say: "How doth God know?
And is there knowledge in the Most High?"
- Behold, such are the wicked;
and they that are always at ease increase riches.
- Surely in vain have I cleansed my heart, and washed my hands in innocency;
- For all the day have I been plagued, and my chastisement came every morning.
- If I had said: "I will speak thus", behold, I had been faithless to the generation of Thy children.
- And when I pondered how I might know this, it was wearisome in mine eyes;
- Until I entered into the sanctuary of God, and considered their end.
- Surely Thou settest them in slippery places;
Thou hurlest them down to utter ruin.
- How are they become a desolation in a moment!
They are wholly consumed by terrors.
- As a dream when one awaketh, so, O Lord, when Thou arousest Thyself, Thou wilt despise their semblance.
- For my heart was in a ferment, and I was pricked in my reins.
- But I was brutish, and ignorant;
I was as a beast before Thee.
- Nevertheless I am continually with Thee;
Thou holdest my right hand.
- Thou wilt guide me with Thy counsel, and afterward receive me with glory.
- Whom have I in heaven but Thee?
And beside Thee I desire none upon earth.
- My flesh and my heart faileth;
but God is the rock of my heart and my portion for ever.
- For, lo, they that go far from Thee shall perish;
Thou dost destroy all them that go astray from Thee.
- But as for me, the nearness of God is my good;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, that I may tell of all Thy works.