- A Psalm of Asaph.
O God, the heathen are come into Thine inheritance;
they have defiled Thy holy temple;
they have made Jerusalem into heaps.
- They have given the dead bodies of Thy servants to be food unto the fowls of the heaven, the flesh of Thy saints unto the beasts of the earth.
- They have shed their blood like water round about Jerusalem, with none to bury them.
- We are become a taunt to our neighbours, a scorn and derision to them that are round about us.
- How long, O LORD, wilt Thou be angry for ever?
How long will Thy jealousy burn like fire?
- Pour out Thy wrath upon the nations that know Thee not, and upon the kingdoms that call not upon Thy name.
- For they have devoured Jacob, and laid waste his habitation.
- Remember not against us the iniquities of our forefathers;
let Thy compassions speedily come to meet us;
for we are brought very low.
- Help us, O God of our salvation, for the sake of the glory of Thy name;
and deliver us, and forgive our sins, for Thy name"s sake.
- Wherefore should the nations say: "Where is their God?" Let the avenging of Thy servants" blood that is shed be made known among the nations in our sight.
- Let the groaning of the prisoner come before Thee;
according to the greatness of Thy power set free those that are appointed to death;
- And render unto our neighbours sevenfold into their bosom their reproach, wherewith they have reproached Thee, O Lord.
- So we that are Thy people and the flock of Thy pasture will give Thee thanks for ever;
we will tell of Thy praise to all generations.