- For the Leader;
upon the Gittith.
A Psalm of Asaph.
(81:2) Sing aloud unto God our strength;
shout unto the God of Jacob.
- (81:3) Take up the melody, and sound the timbrel, the sweet harp with the psaltery.
- (81:4) Blow the horn at the new moon, at the full moon for our feast-day.
- (81:5) For it is a statute for Israel, an ordinance of the God of Jacob.
- (81:6) He appointed it in Joseph for a testimony, when He went forth against the land of Egypt.
The speech of one that I knew not did I hear:
- (81:7) "I removed his shoulder from the burden;
His hands were freed from the basket.
- (81:8) Thou didst call in trouble, and I rescued thee;
I answered thee in the secret place of thunder;
I proved thee at the waters of Meribah.
- (81:9) Hear, O My people, and I will admonish thee: O Israel, if thou wouldest hearken unto Me!
- (81:10) There shall no strange god be in thee;
neither shalt thou worship any foreign god.
- (81:11) I am the LORD thy God, who brought thee up out of the land of Egypt;
open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
- (81:12) But My people hearkened not to My voice;
and Israel would none of Me.
- (81:13) So I let them go after the stubbornness of their heart, that they might walk in their own counsels.
- (81:14) Oh that My people would hearken unto Me, that Israel would walk in My ways!
- (81:15) I would soon subdue their enemies, and turn My hand against their adversaries.
- (81:16) The haters of the LORD should dwindle away before Him;
and their punishment should endure for ever.
- (81:17) They should also be fed with the fat of wheat;
and with honey out of the rock would I satisfy thee."