- (88:1) A Song, a Psalm of the sons of Korah;
for the Leader;
upon Mahalath Leannoth.
Maschil of Heman the Ezrahite.
(88:2) O LORD, God of my salvation, what time I cry in the night before Thee,
- (88:3) Let my prayer come before Thee, incline Thine ear unto my cry.
- (88:4) For my soul is sated with troubles, and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.
- (88:5) I am counted with them that go down into the pit;
I am become as a man that hath no help;
- (88:6) Set apart among the dead, like the slain that lie in the grave, whom Thou rememberest no more;
and they are cut off from Thy hand.
- (88:7) Thou hast laid me in the nether-most pit, in dark places, in the deeps.
- (88:8) Thy wrath lieth hard upon me, and all Thy waves Thou pressest down.
- (88:9) Thou hast put mine acquaintance far from me;
Thou hast made me an abomination unto them;
I am shut up, and I cannot come forth.
- (88:10) Mine eye languisheth by reason of affliction;
I have called upon Thee, O LORD, every day, I have spread forth my hands unto Thee.
- (88:11) Wilt Thou work wonders for the dead?
Or shall the shades arise and give Thee thanks?
- (88:12) Shall Thy mercy be declared in the grave?
or Thy faithfulness in destruction?
- (88:13) Shall Thy wonders be known in the dark?
and Thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?
- (88:14) But as for me, unto Thee, O LORD, do I cry, and in the morning doth my prayer come to meet Thee.
- (88:15) LORD, why castest Thou off my soul?
Why hidest Thou Thy face from me?
- (88:16) I am afflicted and at the point of death from my youth up;
I have borne Thy terrors, I am distracted.
- (88:17) Thy fierce wrath is gone over me;
Thy terrors have cut me off.
- (88:18) They came round about me like water all the day;
they compassed me about together.
- (88:19) Friend and companion hast Thou put far from me, and mine acquaintance into darkness.