- (89:1) Maschil of Ethan the Ezrahite.
(89:2) I will sing of the mercies of the LORD for ever;
to all generations will I make known Thy faithfulness with my mouth.
- (89:3) For I have said: "For ever is mercy built;
in the very heavens Thou dost establish Thy faithfulness.
- (89:4) I have made a covenant with My chosen, I have sworn unto David My servant:
- (89:5) For ever will I establish thy seed, and build up thy throne to all generations." Selah
- (89:6) So shall the heavens praise Thy wonders, O LORD, Thy faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones.
- (89:7) For who in the skies can be compared unto the LORD, who among the sons of might can be likened unto the LORD,
- (89:8) A God dreaded in the great council of the holy ones, and feared of all them that are about Him?
- (89:9) O LORD God of hosts, who is a mighty one, like unto Thee, O LORD?
And Thy faithfulness is round about Thee.
- (89:10) Thou rulest the proud swelling of the sea;
when the waves thereof arise, Thou stillest them.
- (89:11) Thou didst crush Rahab, as one that is slain;
Thou didst scattered Thine enemies with the arm of Thy strength.
- (89:12) Thine are the heavens, Thine also the earth;
the world and the fulness thereof, Thou hast founded them.
- (89:13) The north and the south, Thou hast created them;
Tabor and Hermon rejoice in Thy name.
- (89:14) Thine is an arm with might;
strong is Thy hand, and exalted is Thy right hand.
- (89:15) Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Thy throne;
mercy and truth go before Thee.
- (89:16) Happy is the people that know the joyful shout;
they walk, O LORD, in the light of Thy countenance.
- (89:17) In Thy name do they rejoice all the day;
and through Thy righteousness are they exalted.
- (89:18) For Thou art the glory of their strength;
and in Thy favour our horn is exalted.
- (89:19) For of the LORD is our shield;
and the Holy One of Israel is our king.
- (89:20) Then Thou spokest in vision to Thy godly ones, and saidst: "I have laid help upon one that is mighty;
I have exalted one chosen out of the people.
- (89:21) I have found David My servant;
with My holy oil have I anointed him;
- (89:22) With whom My hand shall be established;
Mine arm also shall strengthen him.
- (89:23) The enemy shall not exact from him;
nor the son of wickedness afflict him.
- (89:24) And I will beat to pieces his adversaries before him, and smite them that hate him.
- (89:25) But My faithfulness and My mercy shall be with him;
and through My name shall his horn be exalted.
- (89:26) I will set his hand also on the sea, and his right hand on the rivers.
- (89:27) He shall call unto Me: Thou art my Father, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
- (89:28) I also will appoint him first-born, the highest of the kings of the earth.
- (89:29) For ever will I keep for him My mercy, and My covenant shall stand fast with him.
- (89:30) His seed also will I make to endure for ever, and his throne as the days of heaven.
- (89:31) If his children forsake My law, and walk not in Mine ordinances;
- (89:32) If they profane My statutes, and keep not My commandments;
- (89:33) Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with strokes.
- (89:34) But My mercy will I not break off from him, nor will I be false to My faithfulness.
- (89:35) My covenant will I not profane, nor alter that which is gone out of My lips.
- (89:36) Once have I sworn by My holiness: Surely I will not be false unto David;
- (89:37) His seed shall endure for ever, and his throne as the sun before Me.
- (89:38) It shall be established for ever as the moon;
and be stedfast as the witness in sky." Selah
- (89:39) But Thou hast cast off and rejected, Thou hast been wroth with Thine anointed.
- (89:40) Thou hast abhorred the covenant of Thy servant;
Thou hast profaned his crown even to the ground.
- (89:41) Thou hast broken down all his fences;
Thou hast brought his strongholds to ruin.
- (89:42) All that pass by the way spoil him;
he is become a taunt to his neighbours.
- (89:43) Thou hast exalted the right hand of his adversaries;
Thou hast made all his enemies to rejoice.
- (89:44) Yea, Thou turnest back the edge of his sword, and hast not made him to stand in the battle.
- (89:45) Thou hast made his brightness to cease, and cast his throne down to the ground.
- (89:46) The days of his youth hast Thou shortened;
Thou hast covered him with shame.
- (89:47) How long, O LORD, wilt Thou hide Thyself for ever?
How long shall Thy wrath burn like fire?
- (89:48) O remember how short my time is;
for what vanity hast Thou created all the children of men!
- (89:49) What man is he that liveth and shall not see death, that shall deliver his soul from the power of the grave?
- (89:50) Where are Thy former mercies, O Lord, which Thou didst swear unto David in Thy faithfulness?
- (89:51) Remember, Lord, the taunt of Thy servants;
how I do bear in my bosom the taunt of so many peoples;
- (89:52) Wherewith Thine enemies have taunted, O LORD, wherewith they have taunted the footsteps of Thine anointed.
- (89:53) Blessed be the LORD for evermore.
Amen, and Amen.