- Now there was a certaine man of Ramathaim Zophim, of mount Ephraim, & his name was Elkanah, the sonne of Ieroham, the sonne of Elihu, the sonne of Tohu, the sonne of Zuph, an Ephrathite;
- And he had two wiues, the name of the one was Hannah, and the name of the other Peninnah: and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children.
- And this man went vp out of his citie yeerely, to worship and to sacrifice vnto the Lord of hostes in Shiloh;
and the two sonnes of Eli, Hophni, and Phinehas, the Priests of the Lord, were there.
- And when the time was, that Elkanah offered, he gaue to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sonnes, and her daughters, portions.
- But vnto Hannah he gaue a worthy portion: (for he loued Hannah, but the Lord had shut vp her wombe.
- And her aduersary also prouoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the Lord had shut vp her wombe.)
- And as he did so yeere by yeere, when she went vp to the house of the Lord, so she prouoked her;
therefore she wept, and did not eat.
- Then said Elkanah her husband to her, Hannah, why weepest thou?
and why eatest thou not?
and why is thy heart grieued?
Am not I better to thee, then ten sonnes?
- So Hannah rose vp after they had eaten in Shiloh, and after they had drunke;
(now Eli the Priest sate vpon a seat by a poste of the Temple of the Lord.
- And shee was in bitternesse of soule, and prayed vnto the Lord, and wept sore.
- And she vowed a vow, and said, O Lord of hostes, if thou wilt indeed looke on the affliction of thine handmayd, and remember me, and not forget thine handmayd, but wilt giue vnto thine handmayd a man childe, then I will giue him vnto the Lord all the dayes of his life, and there shall no rasor come vpon his head.
- And it came to passe as she continued praying before the Lord, that Eli marked her mouth.
- Now Hannah, shee spake in her heart;
onely her lippes mooued, but her voice was not heard: therefore Eli thought she had beene drunken.
- And Eli said vnto her, How long wilt thou be drunken?
put away thy wine from thee.
- And Hannah answered, and said, No, my lord, I am a woman of a sorrowfull spirit: I haue drunke neither wine nor strong drinke, but haue powred out my soule before the Lord.
- Count not thine handmaid for a daughter of Belial: for out of the abundance of my complaint and griefe, haue I spoken hitherto.
- Then Eli answered, and said, Goe in peace: and the God of Israel grant thee thy petition, that thou hast asked of him.
- And she said, Let thine handmaid finde grace in thy sight.
So the woman went her way, and did eate, and her countenance was no more sad.
- And they rose vp in the morning early, and worshipped before the Lord, and returned, and came to their house to Ramah: and Elkanah knewe Hannah his wife, and the Lord remembred her.
- Wherefore it came to passe when the time was come about, after Hannah had conceiued, that shee bare a sonne, and called his name Samuel, saying;
Because I haue asked him of the Lord.
- And the man Elkanah, and all his house, went vp to offer vnto the Lord the yeerely sacrifice, and his vowe.
- But Hannah went not vp;
for shee said vnto her husband, I will not goe vp vntill the childe be weaned, and then I will bring him, that he may appeare before the Lord, and there abide for euer.
- And Elkanah her husband said vnto her, Do what seemeth thee good, tary vntill thou haue weaned him, only the Lord establish his word: so the woman abode, and gaue her sonne sucke vntill she weaned him.
- And when shee had weaned him, shee tooke him vp with her, with three bullocks, and one Ephah of floure, and a bottle of wine, and brought him vnto the house of the Lord in Shiloh: and the childe was young.
- And they slew a bullocke, and brought the childe to Eli.
- And she said, Oh my lord, as thy soule liueth, my lord, I am the woman, that stood by thee heere, praying vnto the Lord.
- For this childe I prayed, and the Lord hath giuen me my petition, which I asked of him:
- Therefore also I haue lent him to the Lord as long as hee liueth, he shall be lent to the Lord.
And he worshipped the Lord there.