- And it came to passe in those dayes, that the Philistines gathered their armies together for warfare, to fight with Israel: And Achish said vnto Dauid, Knowe thou assuredly, that thou shalt goe out with me to battell, thou, and thy men.
- And Dauid said to Achish, Surely thou shalt know what thy seruant can doe.
And Achish said to Dauid, Therfore will I make thee keeper of mine head for euer.
- Now Samuel was dead, and all Israel had lamented him, and buried him in Ramah, euen in his owne citie: and Saul had put away those that had familiar spirits, and the wyzards, out of the land.
- And the Philistines gathered themselues together, and came and pitched in Shunem: and Saul gathered all Israel together, and they pitched in Gilboa.
- And when Saul saw the hoste of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart greatly trembled.
- And when Saul enquired of the Lord, the Lord answered him not, neither by dreames, nor by Urim, nor by Prophets.
- Then said Saul vnto his seruants, Seeke me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may goe to her, and enquire of her.
And his seruant said to him, Beholde, there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor.
- And Saul disguised himselfe, and put on other raiment, and hee went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night, and he said, I pray thee diuine vnto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him vp whom I shall name vnto thee.
- And the woman saide vnto him, Beholde, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how hee hath cut off those that haue familiar spirits, and the wyzards out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?
- And Saul sware to her by the Lord, saying, As the Lord liueth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.
- Then said the woman, Whome shall I bring vp vnto thee?
and he said, Bring me vp Samuel.
- And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a lowd voyce;
and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceiued me?
for thou art Saul.
- And the king sayd vnto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou?
And the woman said vnto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
- And he said vnto her, What forme is he of?
And she said, An old man commeth vp, and he is couered with a mantle.
And Saul perceiued that it was Samuel, and hee stouped with his face to the ground, and bowed himselfe.
- And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me vp?
And Saul answered, I am sore distressed;
for the Philistins make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by Prophets, nor by dreames: therefore I haue called thee, that thou mayst make knowen vnto me, what I shall doe.
- Then said Samuel, Wherefore then doest thou aske of mee, seeing the Lord is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?
- And the Lord hath done to him, as hee spake by mee: for the Lord hath rent the kingdome out of thine hand, and giuen it to thy neighbour, euen to Dauid:
- Because thou obeiedst not the voice of the Lord, nor executedst his fierce wrath vpon Amalek, therefore hath the Lord done this thing vnto thee this day.
- Moreouer, the Lord will also deliuer Israel with thee, into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sonnes bee with mee: the Lord also shall deliuer the hoste of Israel into the hand of the Philistines.
- Then Saul fell straightway all along on the earth, and was sore afraid, because of the words of Samuel, & there was no strength in him: for he had eaten no bread all the day, nor al the night.
- And the woman came vnto Saul, and saw that he was sore troubled, and sayd vnto him, Behold, thine handmayd hath obeyed thy voice, and I haue put my life in my hand, and haue hearkened vnto thy words which thou spakest vnto me:
- Now therefore, I pray thee, hearken thou also vnto the voyce of thine handmaid, & let me set a morsel of bread before thee;
& eat, that thou mayest haue strength, when thou goest on thy way.
- But hee refused, and said, I will not eate.
But his seruants together with the woman compelled him, and he hearkened vnto their voyce: so he arose from the earth, & sate vpon the bed.
- And the woman had a fat calfe in the house, and she hasted, and killed it, and tooke flower and kneaded it, and did bake vnleauened bread thereof.
- And she brought it before Saul, and before his seruants, and they did eate: then they arose vp, and went away that night.