- It is not expedient for me, doubtlesse, to glory, I wil come to visions and reuelations of the Lord.
- I knewe a man in Christ aboue foureteene yeeres agoe, whether in the body, I cannot tell, or whether out of the body, I cannot tell, God knoweth: such a one, caught vp to the third heauen.
- And I knew such a man (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell, God knoweth.)
- How that he was caught vp into Paradise, and heard vnspeakeable wordes, which it is not lawfull for a man to vtter.
- Of such a one will I glory, yet of my selfe I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.
- For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a foole: for I will say the trueth.
But now I forbeare, lest any man should thinke of me aboue that which hee seeth me to bee, or that hee heareth of me:
- And least I should bee exalted aboue measure through the abundance of the reuelations, there was giuen to me a thorne in the flesh, the messenger of Sathan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted aboue measure.
- For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from mee.
- And he said vnto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weaknes.
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest vpon me.
- Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christes sake: for when I am weake, then am I strong.
- I am become a foole in glorying, ye haue compelled me.
For I ought to haue beene commended of you: for in nothing am I behinde the very chiefest Apostles, though I be nothing.
- Truely the signes of an Apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signes and wonders, and mightie deeds.
- For what is it wherein yee were inferior to other Churches, except it bee that I my selfe was not burthensome to you?
forgiue me this wrong.
- Behold, the third time I am readie to come to you, and I will not bee burthensome to you;
for I seeke not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay vp for the parents, but the parents for the children.
- And I wil very gladly spend and bee spent for you, though the more abundantly I loue you, the lesse I bee loued.
- But be it so: I did not burthen you: neuerthelesse beeing craftie, I caught you with guile.
- Did I make a gaine of you by any of them, whom I sent vnto you?
- I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother: did Titus make a gaine of you?
Walked wee not in the same spirit?
walked wee not in the same steps?
- Againe, thinke you that we excuse our selues vnto you?
wee speake before God in Christ: but wee doe all things, dearely beloued, for your edifying.
- For I feare lest when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall bee found vnto you such as ye would not, lest there bee debates, enuyings, wraths, strifes, backebitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults,
- And least when I come againe, my God will humble mee among you, and that I shall bewaile many which haue sinned alreadie, and haue not repented of the vncleannesse, and fornication, and lasciuiousnesse which they haue committed.