- The Elder vnto the elect Lady, and her children, whome I loue in the trueth: and not I onely, but also all they that haue knowen ye trueth:
- For the trueths sake which dwelleth in vs, and shalbe with vs for euer:
- Grace bee with you, mercie, and peace from God the Father, and from the Lord Iesus Christ, the Sonne of the Father in trueth and loue.
- I reioyced greatly, that I found of thy children walking in trueth, as wee haue receiued a commaundement from the Father.
- And now, I beseech thee Lady, not as though I wrote a new commandement vnto thee: but that which wee had from the beginning, that wee loue one another.
- And this is loue, that wee walke after his Commandements.
This is the Commandement, that as yee haue heard from the beginning, yee should walke in it.
- For many deceiuers are entred into the world, who confesse not that Iesus Christ is come in the flesh.
This is a deceiuer, and an Antichrist.
- Looke to your selues, that wee lose not those things which wee haue wrought, but that we receiue a full reward.
- Whosoeuer transgresseth and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God: hee that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Sonne.
- If there come any vnto you, and bring not this doctrine, receiue him not into your house, neither bid him, God speed.
- For hee that biddeth him God speed, is partaker of his euill deeds.
- Hauing many things to write vnto you, I would not write with paper and inke, but I trust to come vnto you, and speake face to face, that our ioy may be full.
- The children of thy elect sister greet thee.