- And all the Congregation of the children of Israel iourneyed from the wildernesse of Sin after their iourneys, according to the commandement of the Lord, and pitched in Rephidim: and there was no water for the people to drinke.
- Wherefore the people did chide with Moses and said, Giue vs water that wee may drinke.
And Moses said vnto them, Why chide you with mee?
Wherefore doe ye tempt the Lord ?
- And the people thirsted there for water, and the people murmured against Moses, and said, Wherefore is this that thou hast brought vs vp out of Egypt, to kill vs and our children, and our cattell with thirst?
- And Moses cried vnto the Lord, saying, What shall I doe vnto this people?
They be almost ready to stone me.
- And the Lord said vnto Moses, Goe on before the people, and take with thee of the Elders of Israel: and thy rod wherewith thou smotest the riuer, take in thine hand, and goe.
- Behold, I will stand before thee there, vpon the rocke in Horeb, and thou shalt smite the rocke, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drinke.
And Moses did so, in the sight of the Elders of Israel.
- And hee called the name of the place Massah, and Meribah, because of the chiding of the children of Israel, and because they tempted the Lord, saying, Is the Lord amongst vs, or not?
- Then came Amalek, & fought with Israel in Rephidim.
- And Moses said vnto Ioshua, Choose vs out men, and goe out, fight with Amalek: to morrow I will stand on the top of the hill, with the rodde of God in mine hand.
- So Ioshua did as Moses had said to him, and fought with Amalek: and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went vp to the top of the hill.
- And it came to passe when Moses held vp his hand, that Israel preuailed: and when he let downe his hand, Amalek preuailed.
- But Moses hands were heauie, and they tooke a stone, and put it vnder him, and he sate thereon: and Aaron and Hur stayed vp his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side, and his handes were steady vntill the going downe of the Sunne.
- And Ioshua discomfited Amalek, and his people, with the edge of the sword.
- And the Lord said vnto Moses, Write this for a memoriall in a booke, and rehearse it in the eares of Ioshua: for I will vtterly put out the remembrance of Amalek from vnder heauen.
- And Moses built an Altar, and called the name of it IEHOUAH Nissi.
- For he said, Because the Lord hath sworne that the Lord will haue warre with Amalek from generation to generation.